Author Topic: The Ryan sisters mystery  (Read 2813 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Ryan sisters mystery
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
The 1930 Census date was April 1st, so that could be her.  She wouldn't have been around long enough to file papers for naturalization, but maybe her employers were the ones giving the information and they didn't really know what she had done in that regard?

I haven't had any luck finding a death record for Mary.  If she did die later (such as late 60's/early 70's), then she may be on the Social Security Death Index, but I didn't find any likely matches.  Any chance that she was divorced or widowed and remarried before she died?  Do you know anything about when/where her husband may have died? 

Offline Stasia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 October 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
There is mention of Stasia (Anastasia) Begly who may be the dughter of Catherine.

Stasia
Ryan, Bonar, Bonnar, Dooley, Ferns, Docherty

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelley, I have no information on Mary but I would imagine she died late 50s or into the 60s.  I know from the Immigration Papers 1925 she was sponsored by Aunt, Anastasia Begley, who lived in Brooklyn, NY.  Will search further and let you know.

These links you have given me are great thank you very much!!:)

Kathy

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, Kathy.

There is mention of Stasia (Anastasia) Begly who may be the dughter of Catherine.

Did Catherine marry someone named Begly?

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
I dont know, Shelley.  Did you find someone named Begley?  I know that Mary and her sister Anastasia emigrated to NY 1925 to guardian Mrs Anastasia Begley. 

HAve you found any record of Catherine after 1930?  She seems to be a will o the wisp.  It would be great if you found some hint of her, give closure to that part of the hunt.  As to marriage and death, I am stumped.

Have a good Wednesday, Kathy :)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
I didn't find anything - I asked because of what Stasia said. 

On the passenger list, it said Mary was going to join aunt Anastasia Begley.  It doesn't mean Anastasia was her guardian or anything like that.

If you have any further information on any of Mary & Catherine's siblings in the US or any other relatives in the US, it might be helpful.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Anastasia, born 1905, went with Mary to the US in 1925.  She married Robert Guthrie MacMaster in 1927 and had Mary Virginia MacMaster, in 1928.  Anastasia returned to the UK and then returned to the US in 1931 then going back to to the US presumably to return with her husband to the UK.  I gather he was ill and they returned to the UK (Glasgow) after 1931.

Anastasia always referred to Mrs Begley as her guardian, hence the name guardian.  Only a few days ago I realised this was in fact her aunt.

Even tho this lady was my grandmother, she was very close about information about her life.  Only recently I discovered at all that Mary had gone with her to the US.  In fact, only recently I discovered there was in fact a Mary at all.  Many mysteries, this tribe ...
Thanks again Shelley for your help, much appreciated :)

Offline Stasia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 October 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
In the old letter i have from a cousin it tells me that (I quote) "there was a Stasia Begley, perhaps this was Catherins daughter"

As a child i remember hearing family talking about Stasia Begley in America and that i had a cousin Stasia in America. My research started by trying to track down where my name Anastasia came from, besides my Aunt Stasia (Kathys grand mother) i new of no others. I know now that it is commonly used in Ireland and that it came from the Ryan side of the family. Molly and Anastasia going to the US to therir Gaurdian Anastasia Begly suggests that she must have been a relative.

Thank you to Shellyesq and Kathy for wonderful reseach x
Ryan, Bonar, Bonnar, Dooley, Ferns, Docherty

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 October 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Could one of you nice guys look up Molly for me?  She is being as slippery as a slippery slidey eel.

Details:

Molly (Mary) Ryan, born 1901 Scotland.
Moved to US in 1925 (got that)
Married in 1933 to John Mulligan Brooklyn, NY got that

Parents James Ryan and Mary Bonar, living in Scotland 1901.

Now death - I believe she died in Florida about 1965-70 and I found one entry but with no further info on it for Pasco, FL for 1967.

Any further info would be great, whether she had children or in fact anything.

Thx guys appreciate it a lot.  Been researching Molly for weeks and it is going really slow.

Kathy :)

Topics on same person merged.  Please keep all information on same person in one thread.  ~moderator