Author Topic: Romany Names in The Midlands  (Read 15421 times)

Offline Camhigi2002

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romany Names in The Midlands
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 January 22 05:15 GMT (UK) »
im just wondering whether anybody can confirm there were any bargee travellers known by hamplett or amplett or wigley families that travelled around the west midlands. i am told by my great uncle and grandfather that they owned a coal wharf. im not sure exactly where im sorry thats not much help but i know it was around the west midlands. - this is my moms dads mothers family

and i think maybe i have gypsy heritage from my great grandfather and grandmother from my mothers mothers side. my great grandads surname was luke. born in walsall
and my great grandmothers maiden name was richards but from my ancestry ive seen that her family go into the faulkners lees and cashes

and would anyone know if my bargee ancestors would of been of romany or irish decent we have family members that have olive or tan skin my mom gets dark skin really easily and i think my aunty does my great nan does too aswell as my grandad her son. my little brother is often confused as mixed race because of his dark complextion. he has a different dad to me but his dad is white.

however i have alot of irish roots through all sides of my family.
i have it on my moms moms side both sides.
and my dads family his mother is hutchinson and her parents were hutchinson and davies
dating back a few hundred years on my dads moms side
there are family names like powell and blackmoores
where as on my nans dads side it was hutchinsons and they date back to the fords kellys and duffys.

im not sure if this making any sense or ive explained this right but im just wondering whether anyone can tell me anything about these surnames as i cant find much on ancestry.