Author Topic: Shoemakers in kelso  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shoemakers in kelso
« on: Monday 25 October 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
I am interested in any information about families of shoemakers called Lamb who lived in Roxburgh Street in Kelso.  They are mentioned in the census of 1841 and subsequent ones until the end of the  19th century.  I am related to james lamb who moved to Gordon around 1891.

I would be interested to know whether the family originated from Kelso or if they moved there to practise their craft.  I would also like to know if the family spread out in Roxburghshire or went elsewhere.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shoemakers in kelso
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Your LAMBs seem well established in Kelso by 1799, when the County of Roxburgh Lieutenancy Book, which listed men eligible to be asked to serve in the militia includes:
81 Adam LAMB shoemaker with Rob't LEITHAM, Kelso
82 James LAMB, carter, Kelso
84 Alex'r LAMB, shoemaker with James MELROSE, Kelso

And yes, one at least went far afield, to Dunedin in New Zealand. The Monumental Inscriptions book for Kelso (Abbey) includes:

372 Square column:
In memory of James LAMB shoemaker died at Kelso 18.11.1873 and Margaret BORTHWICK his wife died 4.1.1876 Alison LAMB their daughter died in infancy also their daughter Margaret LAMB wife of Thomas BROWN Broomlands Dunedin died 10.11.1910 interred in the Southern Cemetery Dunedin New Zealand Eliza LAMB their daughter wife of A.R.Burns plumber died 14.3.1919 also William LAMB their son died 3.3.1898 and Adam LAMB died 6.6.1919

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello

There may be wills for some of your Lambs on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  I looked for one for the James Lamb d.1873 and found:

1 LAMB JAMES 25/07/1874 SHOEMAKER, RESIDING AT KELSO   JEDBURGH SHERIFF COURT SC62/44/56

Will cost £5.00 to download using a 'cart' system - do not buy credits to download wills.

Regards,   Steve

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these posts.  They give me some new angles to work.  There seems to have been quite a thriving community of shoemakers in Roxburgh Street.  I assume that street numbers have been changed somewhere along the line as one census gives a street number of 117 which would have been near the current gate to Floors, I think.