Author Topic: Linking photos to a text file  (Read 1669 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Linking photos to a text file
« on: Tuesday 26 October 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Advice needed please.
I use Windows XP and Word.  I have a folder with many photos, each as a file with title rather than a photo-code.  In the same folder is a text file which has a series of names and remarks relating to one of the photos.
I understand that I can create a hyperlink from the text file to each separate photo title, but what is the best way of doing this?  I am trying to avoid bulking up the text file by copying and pasting each photo into the text, with the eventual aim of putting the whole on to a CD.  My motto is 'keep it simple', whenever possible.
Any suggestions, please?
Ainslie

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Linking photos to a text file
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
It should be a reasonably straightforward process. You don't say what version of Word you are using, I use 2007 which has changed a bit from previous versions, but the basics should be the same. If you highlight the word or words in your text that you want to become a hyperlink, for example 'photo of Dad' and right click you should get the option 'hyperlink' click on that and then browse to the photo of 'Dad'. It is as simple as that. Remember though, the photo has to stay in the same place once you've hyperlinked it, otherwise it won't be able to find it. So if you are going to eventually put all the photos and text on a CD everything has to be on and link to the CD. Hope that makes sense.

Mark.
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Linking photos to a text file
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Mark
That looks simple and I shall try it out when I have had some breakfast.  My Word is v6.
Thanks for the advice.
A