Author Topic: Monkwell Street, London  (Read 3463 times)

Offline geraldinebuxton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monkwell Street, London
« on: Tuesday 26 October 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have a relative who was born at 1 Lamb's College, Monkwell Street, London in 1799. This area is quite famous, Barbers and Surgeons etc. Does anyone know anything about Lamb's College or know where I could find out?
Many thanks.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monkwell Street, London
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
hello and welcome to rootschat
i,ve had alook for an answer to your post but not so sure what i,m looking for exactly is it to do with the college of surgeons ? if you google monkwell street london  it brings up a good few sites to look at so you should try that for help as well

trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Inigo Jones Barbers & Surgeons Hall can be googled, which you've probably already done.

However, "Lambe's Almshouses stood at the upper end of Monkwell Street" (Vic.Cty.History)

I don't suppose that "1 Lambs College" should really be "1 Lamb(e)s Cottage(s)" after a transcription "error"?

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline geraldinebuxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. The address was actually printed in type in the National Probate Calender of Wills 1869 in a letter of administration, so I presumed it would be correct, or maybe not!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Lamb's Chapel was at the north-west corner of Monkwell Street, it was founded by William Lamb a cloth worker, and bequeathed to the Cloth Workers' Company in 1577. It was rebuilt about 1825 by the Company with a row of almshouses, which were pulled down in 1872.
See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63196#s6
The Almshouses could be "Lamb's College", a definition of College from the Oxford English Dictionary is;

A charitable foundation of the collegiate type; a hospital, asylum, or almshouse founded to provide residence and maintenance for poor or decayed persons elected members thereof. (Retained in the title of various institutions of this kind, as Morden College, Blackheath, an asylum for decayed merchants.)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk