Author Topic: Balls family Gt Yarmouth  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edgar Samuel Balls b1876 Gt Yarmouth & Family
    • View Profile
Balls family Gt Yarmouth
« on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just joined this site after stumbling across it whilst browsing my "tree".  My family on my dad's side are the "Balls" from the Gt Yarmouth area.  I myself was born in Sheffield, my surname is Ball, as for some reason my grandfather dropped the "s" from Balls.  I have become obsessed with my g/grandfather, Edgar Samuel Balls, born at 4 Tower Cottages, Garden Lane, Gt Yarmouth in 1876.  I have found evidence of him in all the cencus' up to 1901 and his marriage in 1900, to Florence Hough from Sheffield.  I think he joined the Norfolk Artillery Militia in c. 1900 as he is listed as "Samuel Balls" in barracks at Colchester in the 1901 census.  He was also involved in the bribery allegations in the 1906 general election.  He and some others taking a bribe to vote for a particular Gt Yarmouth candidate, I have a transcript of his statement.  There is no sign of him in the 1911 census, although his wife and children are listed as living at No. 4, Row 119, Gt Yarmouth.  From then on I can't find any sign of Edgar, no death records, nothing.  My late dad told me he is supposed to have left Florence at some point, maybe this explains the dropping of the "s" by my grandad.  Sorry to drone on, but any help would be much appreciated.

Edgar Samuel and family, my grandad, Edgar is stood to the right.

Cheers David
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Balls family Gt Yarmouth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

I have stumbled across several Balls in my Yarmouth research.  And my own GG grandfather (b Yarmouth) was also in Colchester Barracks. So something that was not unusual.

I'll have a little look in the 1911 census for you.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Meles, I have looked in the 1911 census, but only found his wife Emily and the kids, no sign of him.....Maybe I'm missing something??

Thanks in advance

David
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
I could not find him either.

Perhaps dead (unlikely). Perhaps abroad - South Africa, perhaps, fighting in the Boer war.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
If you are new to this game, then you might not yet have found this helpful site.

http://www.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

meles

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway Meles.  The second Boer war was over in 1902 and the photo I posted must have been taken in about 1913 or 14, judging by the age of the kids, of which one is my grandad.  Thanks for the link.

Cheers David

Offline YH757

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 December 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I resemble that remark.   I am descended from Balls fishing family of Great Yarmouth.   I have researched them back to late 18th century.

Balls (Great Yarmouth), Cal[l]f (Great yarmouth),  Johnson(Swineshead, Lincs'), Liversidge (Darnall, Sheffield),  Finner (Ireland, Dublin)

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 December 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I resemble that remark.   I am descended from Balls fishing family of Great Yarmouth.   I have researched them back to late 18th century.

Hi YH757....Are we related???  I ask because as well as Balls, I see that you are also researching Liversidge in Sheffield.  My G Grandma was a Ledger who married a Liversidge.

Cheers David

Offline YH757

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 December 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »

Hi YH757....Are we related???  I ask because as well as Balls, I see that you are also researching Liversidge in Sheffield.  My G Grandma was a Ledger who married a Liversidge.

Cheers David

Related?  Possibly at the Sheffield end.    See my personal message.

Your  Balls family originate from Gissing, I assume that is near Diss.  Mine are all Yarmouth, back to mid 18th century. 
I thought I might have some useful info for you.    I was brought up in Yarmouth, so if you need some local knowledge, I might be able to help there.

Balls (Great Yarmouth), Cal[l]f (Great yarmouth),  Johnson(Swineshead, Lincs'), Liversidge (Darnall, Sheffield),  Finner (Ireland, Dublin)