Author Topic: Non Conformist Records Devizes - SMART  (Read 9911 times)

Offline fluffyferret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Non Conformist Records Devizes - SMART
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 October 10 14:56 BST (UK) »
WOW! - Many thanks for all the information Captain2. 

At last Daniel's mother has a name - Elizabeth :)

So John Smart was born abt 1765 and Elizabeth born abt 1767

There's a marriage for a John Smart to Elizabeth Taylor 9 Jul 1792 North Wraxall, Wilts on Familysearch (poss first child Sarah bpt Mar 1794 Devizes) North Wraxall is about 20 miles from Devizes?

Also Elizabeth Taylor bpt 7 Feb 1768 North Wraxall dau of Nicholas Taylor and Sarah Schneider

Offline rosenwalt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 October 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in this line and am thanking everyone for their input/research on this. 
My line is from John Smart thru his daughter Elizabeth. I also found online a reference to my Elizabeth's having a double wedding. She married John Thomas Selman Low and on the same day her sister Sarah married Daniel Edwards.
Was wondering if anyone found anything else other than what is posted here?
I am new here and I will be posting inquiries on John Thomas Selman Low. I believe his father was James. Thanx!

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 October 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to Rootschat  ;D I'm sorry but I do not have any more information for you in relation to this post, however I would like to welcome you and wish you good luck with your research.

With kind regards
HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline msumax1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 December 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I just located this thread through a google search and registered on this site so I could respond: 

The Samuel Smart b. 1800 in this thread emigrated to the US in 1830 and is my great3 grandfather.  He was a storekeeper and was buried in Willoughby, Ohio USA in 1882 next to his wife Mary Welch.  They were married in the Bath Abbey early 1820's.  His father was John and was a schoolteacher in what is now the Maryport Street Baptist Chapel.  His father John Smart was buried in the front yard of the church.  I travelled to England about 5 years ago and visited the church--the grave markers are all gone, deteriorated over time.  I've seen the bishops church records which has a diagram of the gravesights.   

If anyone has more info about the Smart family I would certainly be interested.  :)         

Offline pastumpf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello! DNA very much shows that Joseph Smart (who married Maria Dunford in the Parish of St. Peter and St. Paul in Marlborough, Wiltshire in 1826) is the son of John Smart and Elizabeth Taylor. He and his wife would immigrate to New York, then Philadelphia and finally on to Jackson County, Indiana. I would love to communicate with any other descendants of John and Elizabeth.

Offline msumax1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 July 22 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello! DNA very much shows that Joseph Smart (who married Maria Dunford in the Parish of St. Peter and St. Paul in Marlborough, Wiltshire in 1826) is the son of John Smart and Elizabeth Taylor. He and his wife would immigrate to New York, then Philadelphia and finally on to Jackson County, Indiana. I would love to communicate with any other descendants of John and Elizabeth.
Looks like yours is a different Joseph Smart.  From familysearch.org, your Joseph b. 1796.  The Joseph in this line of Smart's was b. 1803.  His father John married Elizabeth Phillamore 1784.  John was in Devizes 1794 until his 1823 death.     

Offline pastumpf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 August 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
The Jospeh Smart that married Maria Dunford that then immigrated to the US is not the Joseph Smart mentioned above (from Familysearch). My Joseph Smart was born in 1803 according to the US census records he appears in (1850 census in which he is listed with his wife, daughter-Elizabeth and sons Joseph, Samuel and Daniel…as well as 1860 and 1870 census). He and Maria are my Grandmother’s 2x great grandparents so her DNA connections on this side are quite numerous. She has quite a few connections connections back to other descendants of John and Elizabeth Smart. Likewise, I have triangulated (via GED Match) her DNA with other descendants of Nicholas Taylor and Sarah Schneider (Elizabeth’s parents).