Author Topic: Coed Poeth Wesleyan Chapel marriage  (Read 5278 times)

Offline timowen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coed Poeth Wesleyan Chapel marriage
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that is pretty useful stuff!   I had a cryptic note in the family papers that two of Elizabeth's brothers had gone to America, and that one was named Peter.

I hadn't really started to work on the public archives yet, as I'm trying to sort out people's recollections and other ephemoral stuff first, -  I have a great heap of old family papers etc to make sense of. 

Does anyone know the maiden name of Rebecca Evans, Peter Evans(b 1823)'s first wife?

Thanks again

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 23:29 BST (UK) »
This could be the marriage:
Peter Evans and Rebecca Williams on the same page in 1845 (June Q)
Wirral volume 19 page 278

Cheshire BMD has the marriage at St Mary's Birkenhead :)

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 October 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
You could confirm the mother's details by purchasing one of the childrens' birth certificates.

Elizabeth Evans is a common name but you could contact the Register Office in Wrexham and state address, father's name and occupation.
http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/life_events/bereavement/register_office.htm

Offline timowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 October 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks maidmarrion,

I did get the marriage certificate of William Owen and Elizabeth Evans from the Wrexham Register Office and I'll try same for the others - I found a website that let you search for entries in the Wrexham List online and gave a reference number to identify them, but I can't find it now.

Thanks everyone for your help - I'm gradually filling in the details of my great great grandfather Richard' Owen's life.  One  thing that puzzled me - I have the family named Owen in early documents, and that is how the name passed down, but on an indenture of William as a tailor in 1860 (father Richard named) to William Orrell, which has to be the same people as everything agrees (fore names, occupations, approximate ages, and the fact that I have a copy too), they are named and sign as Owens. I know that both are used, but it seems odd as that is more or less the only reference to Owens in the family.  Maybe the person writing out the indenture got it wrong and William and Richard signed as it was written to save trouble?  Any ideas?

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 October 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Have you compared the signatures on the indenture with those on other documents, e.g. marriage certificates? :)

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 October 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
"I found a website that let you search for entries in the Wrexham List online and gave a reference number to identify them, but I can't find it now."
Is it North Wales BMD :)
http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/bmd_welcome.html

It's not unusual for names to differ on documents or to have altered over time. Just record it as it's spelt on the original document and remember when searching to consider the variants too. :)

You may also be interested in reading some information on the Welsh patronimic naming system.
http://www.welshleigh.org/genealogy/welshnames.html

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Peter C Evans was a teacher at Bersham / Adwy school.
Peter Christmas Evans was born in Wrexham on the 25th December 1854, his parents were Peter Evans, a mason and Rebecca who was born in Cilcaen. When Peter C leaves the school in 1872 “ to go away” that’s the last we hear of him in the logs.
Fortunately he is mentioned in the book “Coedpoeth Past” and this solves the mystery of where he went. (Re Penygelli School) G.J. Jones assisted by Peter Christmas Evans, son of Peter Evans, stonemason. He later became Mayor of one of the States Of America, three times.
Peter married Louisa Kent at West Derby, Liverpool in 1879,

Census 12th Jun 1900 Syracuse, New York
Peter C. Evans Head, white, male, b.Dec 1855 England, 44yrs, married 20yrs, parents b.Wales, emigrated 1880, grocer, owner of a mortgaged house.
Louisa Evans wife, white, female, b.Feb 185(9) England, parents b. England, emigrated 1880.
They had four children all born in New York.
Edwin H son born Nov 1870, Charles S born Jan 1872, George H. born Dec 1874 and Reginald S. born Feb 1891
United States Census, 1920
Precinct 94, Los Angeles, California
Peter C Evans Married b.1855 Wales, 65yrs
Louisa Evans Wife b.1860, 60yrs, b.England
Boyd's Duplex Directory of Syracuse, New York 1899-1900.
Peter C. Evans, 18th Ward, Alderman
Peter died on the 23rd February 1947 in Los Angeles

Page 220 carries a photo of Peter C Evans, a grocer
http://www.archive.org/details/notablemenofcent00stod

You can thank MaidMarion for some of these details.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline timowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - there is a separate topic on Peter Christmas Evans on Rootschat  that has a discussion including  contributions  by maidmarion.

I would be interested in finding Rebecca's maiden name, and also details of Peter's brother John, born 1859, who according to my family history went with Peter to America in 1880. 

There is a John T Evans in 'Notable men....' on page 362 ( in my pdf version) who is President of a fire underwriters - various other positions are listed.  He is listed a s treasurer and Trustee of Park Baptist Church, which figures as the family was non-conformist.  I think he may be Peter's brother, but I don't have any evidence yet although there is a certain family resemblance  and the age is about right.

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
This could be the marriage:
Peter Evans and Rebecca Williams on the same page in 1845 (June Q)
Wirral volume 19 page 278

Cheshire BMD has the marriage at St Mary's Birkenhead :)

Hi

morganllan did find this marriage but you could send for one of their children's birth certificates which would show mothers maiden name.