Author Topic: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub  (Read 16611 times)

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub
« Reply #36 on: Monday 17 August 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
The Hollins at Kingsley is mentioned in the will of Jarvis Forrester 1786 ,probate year 1799 with John Jackson as tenant. This Jarvis is farming near to Bradley Stafford so I was unsure from BDM's if he was part of the same family. But with the Hollins connection looks like he is part of the clan.
Jervis Forrester's burial  1788 Bradley shows he was born about 1746. This looks like Jarvis baptised 1746 at Stoke, son of John and Ann.
His brother John Forrester buried 1782 Bradley Stafford, born about 1742.
Baptism 1744 for a John Forrester son of John and Ann at Stoke.

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 23 August 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
On the marriage register for Edward James and Alice are witnesses so I was thinking along the same lines for Edward.

Some examples of Forresters with Moorland connections-
  The wills, available on Find My Past, along with family names particularly Gervis lead me to think the  Forresters are historically from the Staffs Moorlands area . The will of Gervis Forrester 1745 mentions "lands hereditaments and properties in the parish of Kingsley" . This 1745 will names his wife as Ellen and children Ellen Stockley (married to Moses Stockley 1734),Mary Smith ,John and Gervis. At the time of death he is living at Stoke Hall. Interestingly there are possible corresponding baptisms at Cheddleton for the children of Gervis and Ellen Foster. I may be wrong but these fit well-
"Jhn" 1712 at Leek, then Cheddleton Ellin  1715,Mary 1717,Gervase 1719, James born 1721 and buried 1722. I think this has to be the same family.
Jarvis Foster marriage to Ellin Bagnall 1711 Kingsley.

John Forresters will of 1747 with wife Ann and sons John and Jervis mentions Freehold Estate in the parish of Kingsley and Cunshall? Cheddleton, possibly Consall?

Like Tom I descend from Emmanuel and his son Emmanuel. DNA matches on Ancestry have shown up a lot of matches back to John at Launders Bank. A general DNA search further back for Forresters in Staffordshire gives matches particularly for Kingsley Oakamoor and Alton but this is only a possibility.

As more DNA matches come along I feel pretty certain this is going to show Forresters historically living in the Staffs Moorlands but open minded to any new evidence.

I have taken a month with Find My past and had a look at your suggestions.
I agree with you completely

Clearly the name FORSTER is interchangeable with FORRESTER.
I noticed The marriage licence for Moses Stockley in 1734 names Hellen FORRESTER as opposed to FORSTER.
So I am confident this group are linked.

All we have to do now its to work out how this fits with our tree. !!

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 23 August 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
Good find, I think the marriage licence nails the Forrester/Foster surname argument.

Looking for a potential north staffs baptism for John Forrester of Launders Bank, one possibility is the baptism at Stoke, parents William and Mary.
 This was on the 27 Nov 1731. I couldn't see any other baptisms with parents William and Mary but maybe not looked into this enough or at burials for either parent.

John and Mary Lightwood's first child is also called William, a suggestion possibly that a William Forrester may be his father ?

On the 21 Nov another John Forrester is baptised at Stoke, parents John and Mary. It looks like this John may have been buried in 1740 "John son of John Forrester of Bucknall". Other children of John and Mary baptised at St Peters, Stoke - Isabella 1733 of Bagnall, Thomas 1735 of Bucknall, William 1736 of Bucknall, Thomas 1741 of Bucknall .

Burials of children of John Forrester- William 1737 of Bucknall, Ann 1740 of Bucknall, another William 1740 of Bucknall.

Both John Forresters baptised within the same week, could William and John be brothers possibly?
This at least appears to be an interesting connection with the Bucknall/Bagnall area in the 1730's to consider.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 August 20 07:47 BST (UK) »
I was leaning towards William and Mary being the parents of John.
Here are some notes I’d made against John...

Did have as the son of John and Mary, but thier son b1731 appears to have died in 1740 along with his brother William who was born in 1736. The family were of Bucknall.

There is a Gervas Forrester who left a Will in 1745, mentions wife Ellen (Bagnall m1711 Kingsley (Foster))and sons John (cant find bapt) and Gervas (1719). Daughters Ellen Stockley (1715) , Mary Smith (1717). - All baptised in Cheddleton. Likely relations as Gervas/Jervis isnt a common name.
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 24 August 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
I cant find any baptism  or marriage  for William Foster/Forrester ,just wondered if anyone else had seen these?
 Looking at Moses Stockley there's 2 likely burials 1780 and 1787. On the 1787 Moses Stockley Will there's mention of  Mary Kent daughter of the late Jarvis Forrester of Stoke. Presume this refers to Mary bapt 1717 Cheddleton?

Noticed a baptism for Gervasius/Jervis Foster at Cheadle 1677 so presume not the Jervis who married Ellen 1711 at  Kingsley, but another interesting Moorland connection possibly. Parents Thomas and Dorothy, other children William 1665,Thomas 1666,Elizabeth 1668 Thomas 1675,Jervis 1677,John 1686.

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 24 August 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at the Bradley- near Stafford- grouping today and it is all fitting together very nicely.
Most pleased to see:-

John Forrester
Marriage date 20 Apr 1737
Marriage place Leek, St Edward
Denomination Anglican
Residence Grindon
Spouse's first name(s) Anne Birch
Spouse's residence Leek
County Staffordshire
Country England
Archive reference D1040/5/3

Nice to see mention of the Kingsley Coalmine in John FORRESTERS will (1747)
This links it all together and Daniel JENKINSON too !!

Still working on the link to John FORRESTER from Launders Bank - But I am sure we will get there !!

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 24 August 20 18:55 BST (UK) »

Noticed a baptism for Gervasius/Jervis Foster at Cheadle 1677 so presume not the Jervis who married Ellen 1711 at  Kingsley, but another interesting Moorland connection possibly. Parents Thomas and Dorothy, other children William 1665,Thomas 1666,Elizabeth 1668 Thomas 1675,Jervis 1677,John 1686.

Rule nothing out - very interesting

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 10:26 BST (UK) »
Someone else has already jumped to this conclusion.

The Jarvis born 1677 would have been 34 at marriage to Ellin Bagnall and 45 at the birth of thier last child - I have to say this is certainly fitting with basic family biology.

notice Also Top of the list is a William ( could he later pair with a lady called Mary and produce Launders bank John at Stoke in 1731 ? ) It would have made William 66 in 1731 BUT Forrester men were prolific Fathers)

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
There's a burial at Cheadle in 1667 for William son of Thomas and Dorothy Fostor unfortunately, but good  to check these out.
  If this does turn out to be the right family there are 2 interesting wills- William in 1663, a Wood Collier of Eastwall Cheadle, and earlier in 1637 for Thomas, a Wood Collier of Eastwall.
 For anyone not knowing the area Eastwall is heading towards Kingsley Holt, featured on Time Team a few years back relating to smelting metals. I hadn't heard of the term Wood Collier but this refers to charcoal burners which fits perfectly with Eastwall. So an interesting historical link if this turns out to be related.