Author Topic: Anyone recognise this house?  (Read 4902 times)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognise this house?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 October 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
Using the Royal Mail Postcode finder site and entering Highfields as a house name and then Sheffield produces 3 results but having looked at them on Google Streetview I can't see that any of them are the right place ...  The options are

Woodhead Road, Wortley,S35 7DS,  
Halifax Road, Thurgoland, S35 7AL
Woodsetts Road, North Anston, S25 4EQ

Maybe someone more local could have a look at streetview and check them out?

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 October 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
The roof on the house to the right looks lower,so it seems to be on a hill.Also I would have thought the name Highfields might have some relevance to position.

Seoras.

Believe me, in Sheffield terms that road is seriously flat.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 October 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated!  I'm going off now to have a root around with your suggestions to see if I can find anything out.

I think it was roughly the Hillsborough area they were connected to.

Tony, thank you for your restoration, it's a real improvement!
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 October 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
I live close to Wandsworth, and I've never seen anything quite that style here. The roof is very steeply pitched - odd for here.

And very large for here. Wandsworth was mostly developed in between the wars with generally smaller houses (some earlier ones were huge, but they look Victorian/Edwardian). This looks much later.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 October 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks meles for your information.  It was a bit of a long shot putting the photo on here and I think it's one of those mysteries I may never solve, sadly.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edgar Samuel Balls b1876 Gt Yarmouth & Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it looks to me as though it could be Whirlowdale Road.  The house name could have been changed to something a bit more "chic", as it is in the "posh" part of Sheffield.  The big tree's are still there and a lot of the houses are of that style.  I'll have a look next time I drive down there.

Cheers David
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
That does ring a bell. A lot of the trees in the area I was thinking of had to be taken down a few years ago as they were damaging services and foundations.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 November 10 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Do you think this one could be of a simular era?  (Photo on right was at Dore)
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 November 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David, Redroger and Sallyduk for your suggestions.  I tried to look at Whirlowdale Road on Google streetview but the computer didn't like it, so I'll try again later.

Sallyduk, that house certainly looks very similar - where is Dore?

I can't believe that I might be getting closer to finding it, with all your help, it's great!