Author Topic: Dating and Sharpening a Photo.(Updated)  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edgar Samuel Balls b1876 Gt Yarmouth & Family
    • View Profile
Dating and Sharpening a Photo.(Updated)
« on: Thursday 28 October 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone give me an approximate date for the photo below IE. from the clothing etc.  Also I need some advice as to how to spruce it up, digitally.  It is on card backing.  Also what would be the best way of cleaning the original, if this is possible.

Cheers David

Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Dating and Sharpening a Photo.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 10 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi David  :)

Probably from around 1900-1905 I would say, judging by the clothing...is it on a postcard backing, or just plain?  Is there are border around the photo, or card edging?  If you could show us the whole thing it might help us to pin down the date better for you.

As far as cleaning the original, I would leave that to a professional photograph conservator, otherwise you could be left with it looking worse, or even disappearing altogether.  Old emulsions are very fragile.  You are better off having a digital restoration done and then carefully storing your original :)

Did you want advice on how to do the digital restoration yourself, or would you like someone to do it for you?

Cheers
Prue

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,
thanks for that.  I'm away at the moment and can't quite remember exactly what backing is etc.  When I get home I'll scan the photo again and put as much info about it as possible.  I think you're right about cleaning the original and will probably just keep it as it is.  I would like to have a go at digitally restoring it myself, as I have quite a few old family photo's and it is something I would like to get in to, so advice would be welcome.  Having said that if anyone wants to have a go at this one, then feel free.

Cheers David
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi David and welcome to Roots...there is a free photo editing software package available for download called "Gimp"and many tutorials available some of which are in video format  on youtube..It's a good way to learn without any outlay until you find your way around....I use Photoshop Elements 5 but there are many to choose from at varying costs to suit your pocket.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,378263.0.html

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 October 10 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi David and welcome to Roots...there is a free photo editing software package available for download called "Gimp"and many tutorials available some of which are in video format  on youtube..It's a good way to learn without any outlay until you find your way around....I use Photoshop Elements 5 but there are many to choose from at varying costs to suit your pocket.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,378263.0.html

Carol

Thanks for that Carol, I'll give it a go.

Cheers David

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dating and Sharpening a Photo (Update)
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 November 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, here is a re-scan of the picture.  It is on photographic paper by the look of it, not card and has a border, which can just be seen and has quite a glossy finish.  Hope this helps.

Also, I would be grateful if someone could give it a clean up.

Cheers David

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Dating and Sharpening a Photo.(Updated)
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 00:03 GMT (UK) »
One from me

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi David...........Heres my restore and retone.

Carolyn  :)
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much, thats great, and very quick!

Cheers David