Author Topic: ATWELL Family Fermangh  (Read 10377 times)

Offline ronhen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ATWELL Family Fermangh
« on: Saturday 04 August 07 04:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for infomation on
Atwell William b 1828/9 married Jane Willis b 1835/6

William parents Samuel Atwell and Sarah Bushell
Jane parents were Christopher george Willis mother listed as Jane--
On their death certs there is a discrepancy on the place of marriage

William's cert reads married Clones Monaghan
Jane's cert reads  married Fermanagh
Any help would be greatly appreciated
RON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ATWELL Family Fermangh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 07 17:07 BST (UK) »
William Attwell (age 22), son of Samuel Attwell, married 29 Sept.1854 Newtownbutler, Co. Fermanagh, to Jane Willis (age 23), dau. of George Willis.

Perhaps they also lived at Clones, only a few miles down the road across the border, or perhaps they lived between the two towns.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ronhen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 07 01:04 BST (UK) »
to aghadowey from ronhen
Your info cleared up the mystery of the difference on the death certs. William & Jane Atwell migrtated to Queensland Australia when he was approx 22. I am wonderig what was the occupation of the two fathers of William and Jane.

ronhen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 07 10:28 BST (UK) »
A copy of the actual marriage certificate should give additional details like fathers' occupations and residence of bride and groom at time of marriage as well as actual place of marriage and names of witnesses.
As they were so close to the border I would suggest searching both Fermanagh and Monaghan when looking for the family in Ireland. Another thing to consider is religion when searching for records here- if they were Protestant the most likely possibilities are Church of Ireland, Protestant or Methodist (there are a lot of Methodists in Co. Fermanagh descended from English settlers).

Offline ronhen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
aghadowey
You are right. I am in Queensland Australia and my niece and I have gleaned info from the death cert of the two people. The info is only as good as the relatives that supply the details.
William Atwell  Father Samuel Atwell and His wife was Sarah Bushell Occupation given as farmer
Jane Atwell father Christopher George Willis Mother Jane --no surname given occupation of father given as farmer.
No other details about ireland are given.  I will have to check if they had any children in Ireland before they migrated to Australia

Ronhen

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM ATTWELL AGE 22. M.  JANE WILLIS AGE 23. 29-9-1854 AT GALLOON   COFI.  PARISH OF GALLOON. CIVIL DISTRICT  CLONES. CO. FERMANAGH, IRE.

FATHERS. SAMUEL ATTWELL & GEORGE WILLIS.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 07 16:54 BST (UK) »
Interesting- that might explain Clones/Fermanagh on death certificates. Church of Ireland website lists Galloon (St. Congall) Newtownbutler in Diocese of Clogher and there are contact details.

Offline ronhen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 07 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Aghadowey and Maryderry
Thanks for the information That clears up the discrepencies on the two death certs.
Working from Australia is interesting. William Atwell and Jane Willis came to Australia in approx 1856. We are trying to trace the ship etc. But in the BMD's for Queensland we have the birth of 5 children but the deaths later of 6. There must have been children born in Ireland so we will have work on that. But death certs are iffy because the details sre given by a child of the marriage.  We are trying to sort out the differences in the two death certs regarding the section headed CHILDREN. I believe Jane willis gave the details on Williams cert and Janes info was given by the son George.  The two lists differ so its more work.  I was wondering if you can find out if there were any children born in Ireland. If its too much to ask just say so

Ronhen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 07 10:12 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately civil registration of births in Ireland only began in 1864, well after the Atwells left Ireland, so for earlier records you need to know religion, find correct church and then see if the church records for that period still exist. The church they got married in (Galloon Church of Ireland) may have been the bride's church and not the church (or religion) of the groom but a starting point would be to see how far back the records for it go.
Fianna website gives Galloon Parish Church 1798 but does not specify whether baptisms, marriages, burials, etc. The Church of Ireland General Synod report (1999) says records copied at PRONI (Public Records Office of Northern Ireland). Unfortunately I could not find the church records in LDS catalog.