Author Topic: Sirrs of Fermanagh  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Sirrs of Fermanagh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 01:03 BST (UK) »
Christopher.
My ancestors came to Canada early 1830's. First arrived in Quebec where a son was born 1834.
I don't have my list of Irish counties in Fermanagh...are Galway, Monaghan and Roscommon in Fermanagh?
could you provide the Sirr information you found?

Mossy
many thanks for sending the Sirrs you found. I presume these are marriages.

hopefully, this will give us an area in Fermanagh to begin.

Hiya shaw.shoo,

A map of the counties of Ireland shows the location of the counties I mentioned. Ancestors Ireland Surname Search shows the distribution of the Sirr surname in Ireland during 1848-64 when Griffith's Valuation took place.
I'm not doing too well finding the surname Sirr in Fermanagh. There was a Sir Joseph Darcy Sirr in Dublin in 1813.
The Papers of Major Henry C. Sirr, which contain information about the United Irish movement are in the archives at Trinity College, Dublin.

Henry Charles Sirr, 68th Foot and Miss D'ARCY, daughter of James D'Arcy, Hyde Park, Co. Westmeath AUG 1791
William Sirr and Celi Marshall, daughter of Abraham Marshall, at Galway OCT 1791
Source: I Dream of Genealogy: Irish Marriages and Births.

Chris

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 10:57 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at Griffiths for you and sorry to say there were no Sirrs living in Fermanagh at the time, nor were there any Sirrs owning land there but living elsewhere.

Where did you get the information on their marriage and children?

Do you know whereabouts they were living in Fermanagh?

Did they have any sons?

Falte Romhat has an online copy of Pigots directory from 1824 which may mention them but it will be a chore going through it without some idea of where they were living.

www.failteromhat.com/pigot.htm

The fact that the name is uncommon means we have to be more focused in our search but once we find them, we've found them (if you know what I mean)

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 11:17 BST (UK) »

Hi .....

It may be that they left for Canada at an early date. There are various entries for this family on ancestry tree's . One quoting from 1837 land owners in Simcoe County. They also credit the birth of a Thomas Sirr to William & Ann in 1834.

I would try contacting a couple of the owners...when I found a contact for Hubbies family he helped me back through to the early 1800's...then with help from the Cambridgeshire board we are back to 1578 confirmed.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mossy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 14:00 BST (UK) »
Sirr births Fermanagh.

SIRR, John   
Born 2 Aug 1869   Roslea, Fermanagh (page 148 in civil register)
Parents John SIRR & Eliza Jane MOORE

SIRR, Thomas   
Born 28 Nov 1870   Roslea, Fermanagh (page 162 in civil register)
Parents John SIRR & Eliza Jane MOORE

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 14:53 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Sirr b: 1824 in Enniskillin, Fermanagh, Ireland

Source: RootsWeb.com

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
  • at it since 1977, what a difference internet makes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
ooh. all of you have been so helpful.
Chris...thanks for the links and also Mary Jane Sirr b.1824. doesn't fit with my direct line but she may be a cousin.

Ronnie...the information on all the Sirr line was obtained from another descendant who has done much work on this line. I am not exactly sure where she got the marriage info. will contact her and see what she has to say. we don't know WHERE in Fermanagh!

Tazzi...great that you found your ancestors so far back! the son Thomas who was born to Wm & Ann in 1834 is indeed the line I am talking about. I'll give your suggestion to the gal who is working on this line and see if she can get any further.

Mossy....the names and dates you provided (of I presume marriages) is too late for my line. but then again, they could be descendants of siblings of the line I am talking about who remained in Ireland.

thanks again...all of you.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: ROSS-SIRR Lookup
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello shaw.shoo,

Post your query about the marriage of Elizabeth and Henry on the Canada Lookup Request board. www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,375/sort,starter/start,600.html

Whereabouts in Co. Fermanagh was William Sirr born?

There are several items which need to be established when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination ... this is important as it's the first step in finding church records.
2. Parish ... step two in your search. Once you've established the denomination you need to find the churches in that particular parish as well as making enquiries about the existence of records for the period you are researching. You should be able to find these details online ... make a note of where such records are held.
3. Townland ... this can range in size from an acre to several thousand acres. In a great many cases the name of a townland referred to an identifiable feature of the landscape ... properties may or may not have had names but it's unlikely they were numbered as they may have been in towns and cities when your ancestor's were living.

You'll have to rely on Church records when searching for your ancestors as they were born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland which started in 1864. Marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards.

Christopher