Author Topic: Llandderfel Burials  (Read 5948 times)

Offline EFFPEARS

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Llandderfel Burials
« on: Saturday 09 April 05 19:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is anyone that can help me find burials at Llandderfel Church Mer.
I am trying to find graves (or dates of death) for William Williams born 1800 (+ or - one year) any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Elsbeth

Offline aledusa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Llandderfel Burials
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 05 06:40 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is anyone that can help me find burials at Llandderfel Church Mer.
I am trying to find graves (or dates of death) for William Williams born 1800 (+ or - one year) any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Elsbeth

Elsbeth,
I've only just found this website.... my family came from Llandderfel! There is an 1851 Census available: www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/Llandderfel/ I would suggest you try that. You have to remember that Llan had a population of about 3,000 then because of the quarry. In the 1871 Census (same page) I found details of my Grandmother's brother, aged 9. There are names that I remember as a child in the 1891 Census! Fascinating stuff. Pob hwyl yn eich ymdrech. Cofion, Aled

Offline EFFPEARS

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 05 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much indeed for your reply. I will be investigating further. Thanks for your help. Elsbeth

Offline tanwenhaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My g-g-g-great-grandfather Edward Williams was born in Llangwm or Llandderfel about 1791, the family lived at a farm called 'Cistfaen' in Llanddefel for many years.
Edward married Margaret Jones who was born in Llandderfel about 1789 had the following children:
Edward, Evan, Elisabeth, David and Margaret

I know Williams is a common name but still, I suspct that your William and my Edward are relatives if not maybe brothers.
Please get in touch if you come accross Edward in your research as I am unfortunatley unable to visit the Archives to do any further research at present.

I would be interested to see what information you have on your Williamses.
Thanks
Tan.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm also interested in Llandderfel as my great great grandfather, Ellis Williams, was born there (about 1812) and married Catherine Edwards.  They had several children, including my great grandmother, Catherine Williams (born about 1847), and lived in various farms/cottages in Llandderfel eg Tanffordd, Maesod, Tai Newyddion. 

Ellis was widowed before 1871 and lived with various of the children after that, and died in Corwen in 1896.

I haven't yet been able to find anything about the family's earlier life so, if anyone can add any more, or point me in a new direction, I'd be most grateful.  I've searched all the censuses down to 1851, and am now ploughing through the pages of the 1841 census, as Ellis and Catherine should show on that with 2 children.
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Elsbeth

Since I wrote my original message, I've discovered quite a bit more about my Williams family, and we have a William Sr born about 1802, at Ty'nllechwedd, Llandderfel.  He married Gwen (also b about 1802) from Llandrillo some time before 1826, and they had 5 children that I know of  -  William Jr (1826), Hugh (1827), Samuel (1829) who married  Anne Pugh about 1864 and who died aged 47 in 1875.  Elizabeth was born in 1832 and she married Joseph Thomas in 1847, eventually having 7 daughters and 4 sons, followed by David, born in 1836.

William Sr was an elder brother of my GG Grandfather, Ellis Williams.  As far as I've discovered, there were 7 children altogether, all children of Hugh Williams and Margaret (nee Jones) from Ty'nllechwedd.  Hugh was from Llangernew (bap 4 feb 1761) and married Margaret in Llandderfel on 31 August 1789.  He died at Llandderfel in 1840.

Hugh's parents were also Hugh Williams (died Llangernew 26 Dec 1781) and Jane (died Pentrewern 17 dec 1787).

I don't know if any of this matches up with your research.  I'd be interested to know!

Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones