Author Topic: 1871 census NEALE Bethnal Green?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1871 census NEALE Bethnal Green?
« on: Thursday 28 October 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
I have had no luck in finding this family in the 1871 census and am wondering if the surname is somehow unlegible or mistranscribed.
Or perhaps some of the census records are missing? If anyone can crack the puzzle - I'd be really grateful!

Perhaps there is a way of looking up the census by address????

Edward Thomas Neale b. 1849 (bap Saint Thomas Charterhouse, Finsbury) married in Oct. 1871. His address at the time was put down as 315(? bit hard to decipher) Bethnal Green rd. so I am wondering if that had been his address at the time of the census as well.

Edward Thomas may have been living with his mother and siblings at that time - I cannot find them either, at any rate. His father William Charles was noted as deceased at the time of the marriage in October but I don't know when exactly he died - he was living in 1861. I also don't if all of his siblings were still living in 1871 but potentially here are the other family members that I cannot locate in the same census!

Ann Neale (mother) b~1824 Cripplegate or Bethnal Green (it changes)
Rosetta b~1847 St Leonards Shoreditch (about 24)
Charles b~1852 St Leonards Shoreditch (about 19)
Catherine b~1860 Bethnal Green? (about 11)
James b~1863 (about 8 )
Geroge b~1867 St Leonards Shoreditch (about 4 )

much thanks,
ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census NEALE Bethnal Green? ps
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
I also cannot find Edward's brother William Henry in 1871. He would have been married at that time:

William Henry b~1844
wife Mary Ann b~ 1846
children
Jane 1868 clerckenwell
and maybe Jane b 1871 Shoreditch
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census NEALE Bethnal Green?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Do you have him in 1901   RG13/279/131   Edward & Eliza and six of there children.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Neither at 315 Bethnal Green Road in 1871 it looks as though it was a coffee shop that took in lodgers.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 October 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. Not even as a lodger, eh? I hope I read the address correctly.

Thank-you for looking. I wonder where they could be?

Yes, I have Edward's family in 1901 although admitedly, not the others..

The 1891 census however is another that is proving elusive for Edward Thomas and his family as well as that of William Henry who would have had more children by then (Alice, William, James and Arthur, that I know of if they were living) I think I have Ann with her son George for that census.