Author Topic: Ginnell  (Read 5461 times)

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ginnell
« on: Thursday 28 October 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on John (Jack) Ginnell who emigrated possibly from Scotland to Canada with his wife Kathleen.  John was born in 1896 in Ireland and I think arrived in Canada in the late 1920s.  I dont have any information about Kathleen.
Farnan, Ginnell, Macken, Monaghan, Murphy, Murray

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Ginnell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
there is this john in the irish 1901,,,,,??? a search in all counties with a john born 1896 +5,,,only gave 2 results?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Hiltown/Corbally/1777090/
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

Immigration Records 1925-1935
Has John and Kathleen and 2 children, ages 1 and 4 arriving in June 1929. The children may still be living so please check the website and type in the surname and the names will come up.

www.canada411.ca
Is an on-line telephone directory and the name Ginnell will come up. There are only a few names listed so one of them could be a member of the family. If so, you could contact them through the postal service or by phone.

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help!  Gortonboy, thats him in the 1901 census with his father James and mother Kate.  I havent located a marriage cert for him so I think he must have married in Scotland and left from there to Canada.
Do you know if there are any census records on line for Canada?  I dont know where he lived so it makes it a bit more difficult!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 10 03:49 BST (UK) »
ancestry has indexed the surname as Gingell.  the family arrived 2 JUn 1929 on the Minnedosa from Glasgow to Quebec.
John is shown as born Castle Pollard Ire., his wife b. Drumeree Ire and the children both born La?bert, Scotland.  His parents in Castle Pollard are shown as British contacts and they are heading for Winnipeg, Manitoba - The Canadian Government Immigration Dept is the Canadian contact.  He was shown as farming in Ireland and intending to farm in Canada.

The last cross Canada census that has been released was 1911.  The one released for 1916 covered the prairie provinces only.  Canada follows the same release of information format for census data as does England so the 1931 census will not be released for a long time.

Debbie

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Debbie and everyone that helped me with this query.  Its great to have all this info!

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 October 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
The surname Ginnell in Manitoba is associated with hockey. As I stated before the name isn't common so I would follow up on any lead in Canada with the last name.
Pat Ginnell
b. March 3, 1937 iin Dauphin, Man
d. Nov. 2003 in Vernon, BC

http://www.halloffame.mb.ca/honoured/1999/1956Bombers.htm
Pat Ginnell #11, 1956-57 Flin Flon Bombers Hockey Team
He was a player and coach, also his sons and grandsons are involved in hockey. There are Ginnell's living in BC and that is where Pat died so I would contact them to see if they have info for you.
Flin Flon Public Library
www.flinflonpubliclibrary.ca/
Dauphin library
www.parklandlib.mb.ca/
The libraries may be able to do lookups for you that could connect him to your John and Kathleen.

Offline anitakate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 October 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you valeriec!  Will certainly check these out!  Appreciate your help!

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 October 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi anitakate,

The National Archive of Canada site has a lot of genealogial databases of it. The web addy is as shown in earlier response: www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html. it has ship passenger list, censuses, etc that are searchable. If your rellie fought in 1st world war in CEF he should be listed on that database.

There are lots of free sites in Canada, but sometimes they are a little out of the way :-)

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England