Author Topic: 'Optimistic' quest for information about Naburn York  (Read 2498 times)

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Optimistic' quest for information about Naburn York
« on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hello folks,
I have a possible relative who is present on a couple of passenger lists from Australia to London in 1928 and 1934. Mary Wormwell travelled on the Orsova, arriving London 14th Mar 1928 and the Baradine, arriving London 14th June 1934. The proposed  addresses in the Uk state  Naburn, Nr York. In 1928 it mentions the address in the UK as c/o Graham, Naburn York. I know this is a complete long shot, but, would anyone have any idea if Graham would just be the first name of someone she would be visiting, or, could this name mean anything to anyone as perhaps a commercial name or something.
Sorry if this sound a nutty question, but I thought someone may have some local knowledge of this area. I have also been stunned by the amazing ideas and help provided by the folks on Rootschat!!
Thanks for reading this,
Lancs-lasie
Wormwell, Whitaker, Lancashire
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'Optimistic' quest for information about Naburn York
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lancs Lassie
Naburn is a tiny hamlet south of york and scarely more than a handful of houses clustered on the flood prone Ouse. Graham would have been the surname in my view-perhaps a local farmer? Naburn used to have a large asylum-bought by a chancer for a song who got round planning, it was stripped for architectural salvage, demolished and the site developed as an out of town shopping centre-read more here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=193-nab&cid=0#0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 October 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am not sure if this will help but it gives some additional information about her travelling arrangements ....

On the two outward trips she is listed as Mrs M E Wormwell (born c1871) ....

18th August 1928 she sailed from London to Port Said, Egypt on board the “Orsova” (which was ultimately destined for Australia). She was listed as a Governess.

On 31st August 1934 she sailed from London to Port Said, Egypt on board the “Otranto” (which was ultimately destined for Australia). Her occupation is listed as “Nil”.

On the inward 1934 journey she is shown to have come from Egypt.

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
There is one graham family in Naburn in 1911
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to all of you!
Posteria, great info thanks. However, I'm afraid my optimism has been depleted somewhat  :( My Mary has a second name, Alice, and I think her earlier work history, (as a cotton weaver) would probably not have led her into a career as a governess! It was purely a longshot, and I really appreciate your help.
mc8, thank you for your PM, please check out my reply.
As I am fairly sure that this Mary Wormwell is not "mine", I would ask that my friends on RC don't spend any more of their precious time on my hopeless cause!!
Cheers, the lassie
Wormwell, Whitaker, Lancashire
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent