Author Topic: CALDWELL and GILLEN  (Read 8629 times)

Offline minimac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CALDWELL and GILLEN
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
I have just seen this thread and I am related to Audley Caldwell b.1802 who is my great great great grandfather.  His eldest daughter Margaret married my relative George Bestall.  Audley died in 1859 and is buried in the Castlederg graveyard.  The inscription on the grave reads as follows:-

Caldwell. To the memory of Audley Caldwell late of Forthtown who entered into life eternal on the 14th of October 1859 aged 60 years.  Also of Frederick Law youngest son of Margaret Bestall who departed this life on the 21st June 1860 aged 5 years. Also of his mother Margaret Bestall eldest daughter of Audley Caldwell who exchanged mortality for life on the 19th of September 1861 aged 34 years aslo James Audley second son of the late Audley Caldwell Esq of Forthtown who died 28th September 1877 aged 47 years.

Audley had a younger brother Henry who might be your relative and also his father Sir Audley had a younger brother Henry who is also related to me through my McFarland line.   He was born in 1814.  Perhaps he could be your relative.

So it looks as though you and I might be related too!!  I have done a lot of this research on this site, by visiting the Castlederg area and contacting local historians.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline nana999sun

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 03:43 BST (UK) »
Minimac

I am awestruck.  I haven't checked this website in a while and I worked on Bestall family last night trying to connect to Sir Audley again. 
Henry Caldwell b. 1770 and Audley were brothers.  Sons of Sir Audley and Lady Sidney Anne Sims. 
Our timelines are right.  We are connected through Audley's Daughter Margaret b. 1827 m. George Bestall. 
I was fortunate enough last year to have a councillor from Castlederg, go out to the cemetary in Castlederg and send me the exact same inscription that you just quoted.  I was so happy to have that info and it gave me so many leads. 
I have seen your name in other websites as I belong to them all!  We definitely have a connection. 
So many questions!  But first, did Margaret have a brother by the name of Audley?  and was Margaret's father Audley born in 1802 then and not 1799.?
I am in Canada, so going to Ireland has only been a dream (bucket list) for me
but I dream in color about it. 
I look forward to corresponding with you on this great news.

Regards,
Barbara Caldwell Hirst

Offline minimac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,
Great to hear from you. 
In answer to your questions:-
Margaret Caldwell married George Bestall b. 1825 and they had Charlotte Elizabeth b.1847, Audley William John b.1848/50 (my great grandfather) and Frederick Law b.1854 d.1860 and maybe more but I haven't found them yet!
Some birth records for Audley Caldwell say 1799 and some 1802. 
I must say I am confused regarding dates generally. I have found Sir Audley b 1795 and Audley b 1799/1802.  Are they one and the same I wonder?  Sir Audley had 11 children do you know their names?
Just to confuse further the above Audley Wm John Bestall married a Mary Jane Caldwell b 1850 who was the daughter of Henry Caldwell b 1814 and Sarah McFarland. Do you know about this Henry?  He died 1899 at Castlederg.
Anyway that's enough confusion for now.
Hope to hear from you again.
Best wishes, Jill.

Offline nana999sun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
I know who you are now!  Don't mean to sound like a stalker, or whatever but I have a copy of a posting Aug 2/08 where you stated Audley as your grgrgrandfather-1802 -1859, Killeter, Castlederg.
I have found Audley (1) b. abt 1740's son, Henry b.1770 and 4 of his sons in Killin, Omagh Barony dated 1830.  His sons are-Robert, John, Henry and Audley.  Another son Charles b. 1795 is already in Canada, immigrating in 1822.  Missing is James b. 1802 i. ? and daughter Catherine b.1808 i. 1827.
Do you know Audley (1802-1859)'s eldest son's name?
My next search will be Sir Audley's 11 children as I thought that he had two!
Have a great day.
Barbara

Offline THE KINGDOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 September 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
This name "Audley" seems to me to be peculiar to Co Tyrone, or to the Caldwell and Bestall families, which seem to have been strong in the area in the eighteenth and nineteenth Centuries, and earlier.

My grandfather, Hugh Alexander Campbell married Charlotte Elizabeth the daughter of an Audley Bestall, of Creduff House Tyrone, in 1881, and sister of the next Audley Bestall. Her  mother was Mary Jane Caldwell, first wife of Audley Bestall Snr.

I have a writing slope presented to my grandfather, a JP, at Xmas, 1902. Among the names of those who presented it, inscribed on a brass plate, is an Audley S Leary, as well as Jeanette Mc Cormick, Lottie Howe, and Audley Bestall.

Because of the Audley name, I wonder if the Leary Family is also in some way connected to the Bestalls and Caldwells ?

The Kingdom

Offline nana999sun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 05:09 BST (UK) »
To "The Kingdom"

You are so right re Leary surname as ELIZA JANE CALDWELL, second daughter of AUDLEY CALDWELL, Esq  (1799-Oct14, 1859) Eliza Jane was born after 1827 and married Nov 5, 1862 in Killeter Church, Termonamongan. To SAMUEL LEARY, Esq M.D. Pettigo
Eliza Jane and Samuel Leary had one daughter b. Sept 21, 1863.
That completes my search of this Audley's children except for his second son, JAMES AUDLEY CALDWELL, b. 1830 and d. Sept. 28, 1877.  He is buried in Castlederg in the same gravesite as his father above and his sister MARGARET CALDWELL BESTALL and her young son, FREDERICK LAW BESTALL, (1855-1860) of Forthtown House.
At present, I am searching for Audley's (1799-1859) father, also Audley.  I have been told that he had 11 children but my ancestry stories tell me of only two. Audley in Ireland and my Henry Caldwell, that came to Canada in 1833 with seven children.
Henry Caldwell (1770) married Bridget Manning and their children were Charles 1795 (mine) immigrated in 1822, Catherine, Audley, Henry, Robert, John, and James.
I will chart up the Leary family as I have done with the Bestall family, or rather, started to do with the Bestall family.
Thank you for your input.
Regards,
Barbara

Offline THE KINGDOM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 September 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,

Nice to hear from you, re the Caldwells/ Gillens etc

A correction. The father of Audley Bestall, and my grandmother, Charlotte Elizabeth was, of course George Bestall, and not Audley, as pointed out to me by Jill McFarlane.. I have sent her a few pages of a Campbell Genealogy, a strand which involves the Bestalls and the Caldwells. If you would like this, please let me have your Email address, and I will send it to you direct.

I would appreciate too, to have the results of your further research, if you please. I hope to re print the whole of the above Genealogy, in a few months, and can, hopefully provide a digital copy of about 100 pages.

Best wishes......... Hugh

Offline JSmith84UK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure whether you will see this post.  But I’ll give it a go.

The person I’m trying to get in touch with is known as ‘liscoole’

Was your William Caldwell, b circa 1851, married to Margaret Gilmore?

His parents were Charles and Jane Caldwell.

Both William and Charles both being ‘Cooper by trade’

William and Margaret had 12 children in Belfast, ranging from 1888 to 1907.

If anyone sees this post, please make contact.

Thank you

James

Offline JSmith84UK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 May 21 11:35 BST (UK) »
I’ve got these in my family tree.  William was born in 1861/2 though.
The Census has been mis-transcribed.  Are you able to contact me?

Hi Barbara

My husband has a William Caldwell in his tree, born 1850 in Tyrone. His parents were Charles and Jane Caldwell. Unfortunately that's all we know, but there could be a connection to your Caldwells.