Author Topic: BOWDEN - NSW, VIC, SA & QLD  (Read 16141 times)

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOWDEN - NSW, VIC, SA & QLD
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 October 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sue ;D
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 October 10 08:50 BST (UK) »
Judith, what does it mean when it names the Groom's father as  a 'gentleman'? does this mean he was higher up in society?

Also on the grooms side of the family, why would John's father have a different last name? I know Agnes (his mother) was married to a John Williams... does this mean he was illegitimate? 

"Gentleman" usually means he doesn't have to work and is living on private means - perhaps he has shares or inherited money, or is retired.  Obviously he would see himself as a step higher than a person who has to work!

I think the "Goodenough" is his second name so his full name is John Goodenough WILLIAMS.  You often find second names of ancestors are from surnames of their parents/grandparents or close friends etc.  For example one of my ancestors is John Midlane DYER - Midlane was his mother's maiden name.  It can be handy at times when trying to identify ancestors
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 29 October 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
This looks as though it could be the parent WILLIAMS marriage:
Agnes Bowman = John Williams
1863 Victoria, registration number 638

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 October 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry to go back over stuff,  but does anyone know where I could find where this daughter was born?

This appears to be another child's death in NSW

REG. 594 In 1865  BOWEDEN (sic)  ANNIE
father  SAMUEL S.
mother  ANNIE
at  SYDNEY.

Sue   
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 31 October 10 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I am not able to see a recorded birth for the child in QLD or NSW.

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

They are the only states I have looked at,

A copy of the certificate of death would show all you want to learn.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 31 October 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
The baby who died on board ship is a bit hard to find.  The child was listed as 10 months old on the death index shown on the Qld BMD but we don't know the exact date of death.  The ship left England in June and ariived in Queensland in October 1863 so it is possible that the child was born between September 1862 and January 1863. It would seem  probable that the child was born in England.

Free BMD has lots of BOWDEN births in that time; you would need information from the certificate to find the child. 

Judith

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 31 October 10 23:41 GMT (UK) »
The exact date of registration of the death of infant ANNIE was 15th OCTOBER 1863.

Same month as the ship's arrival.

The death was recorded in both QLD and NSW

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 31 October 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
It may be a possibility to look for the couple, ANN and SAM on census 1861.  They were married in Bristol in 1858, perhaps they were enumerated there too.

If they were located  may give some hints about previous children as I think it is a bit unusual to be married 4 or 5 years and no offspring.

I am not at all good at census lookups.

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 November 10 00:30 GMT (UK) »
However we don't know what the death date was  ???  Where else did this ship call?  The child could have been born anywhere I suppose, especially if he was a seaman.  As you say, there is quite a gap (for the time) between the marriage (1858) and the birth of this child (1862/3) so I wonder if there were earlier child/ren?

Sue, I couldn't find them  when I looked before but will try just for Annie - perhaps he was at sea ::)

QLD Immigration has this info - at least we have a birth year for Annie now - 1841/2, Samuel 1829/30

BOWDEN Annie     22 Rockhampton 13 Oct 1863 IMM/112 169 Z1957 M1696
BOWDEN Samuel  34 Rockhampton 13 Oct 1863
BOWDEN Samuel       Rockhampton 13 Oct 1863

I know there was a comment about this before but it is just possible that the second Samuel may be a child.

Judith