Author Topic: Israel: Marriage Ward/Harb  (Read 1388 times)

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Israel: Marriage Ward/Harb
« on: Friday 29 October 10 07:35 BST (UK) »
The following two stories were in the New Zealand Evening Post, grateful for any advice please on how I may locate details on the marriage of Gladstone Ward and Sophie Harb or any information on the Harb family.

Evening Post, Volume C, Issue 30, 4 August 1920, Page 9:
Advice has been received in Christchurch of the marriage in Jerusalem of Mr. Gladstone Ward, third son of Sir Joseph and Lady Ward, to Miss Sophie Harb, of Jerusalem.

Evening Post, Volume CI, Issue 37, 12 February 1921, Page 10:
Mrs. Gladstone Ward, who, with her husband, arrived by the Moana, was Mademoiselle Sophie Harb, who had lived all her life in Jerusalem, and had seen no country but Palestine, before leaving for this far-off part of the world.  Mrs. Ward and her family had, had a very sad time during the war, for the Turks and Germans between them made life terrible.  Monsieur Harb and his family were among the foremost to welcome the British forces when they entered the Holy-City, and the excitement and joy of the pro-British community was indescribable.  Mr. and Mrs. Ward are settling down at a farm near Christchurch, and will make their home there.

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Israel: Marriage Ward/Harb
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
If Gladstone Ward was in the British forces then there might be GRO overseas index records of his marriage.  I can have a look for you this evening.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 October 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
No luck on the GRO indices, I'm afraid.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/ does seem to have what I think are his service papers under Gladstone William Ward.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 10 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Thank you very much for your reply and for taking the time to check on National Archives website your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Janet.