Author Topic: Connection to Sir John Bramston and Alice Abdy?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline flutterbymusic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connection to Sir John Bramston and Alice Abdy?
« on: Friday 29 October 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
First of all, I hope I've posted this in the right place! I've not put it in a certain section as the birth places etc. are all a bit different.

Basically, my 3rd Great Grandfather was an Abdy Bramston Smith Ramsey. His name was made up of 4 surnames and he was born 27 Oct 1796 in Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, England. He later moved to London. Before Abdy was born, his mother and father Elizabeth Smith and Samuel Ramsey had another son called Abdy Bramston Ramsey who died shortly after his birth. The fact Abdy Bramston Smith Ramsey had the same name with Smith added shows how desperate they were to carry on the name. Abdy was named after his grandfather Abdy Bramston Smith born 30 Apr 1733 in St. Giles, Great Hallingbury, Essex, England. Problem is, all is know from then is his fathers name - a Richard Smith born 1710 in Essex.

Richard was a huntsman for Jacob Houblon Esq at the Manor House in Hallingbury.

Because the mother of Abdy Bramston Smith is not known, I've been looking up the Abdy and Bramston names. I realise that Sir John Bramston senior at the very least was from Essex county and his son of the same name married Alice Abdy in 1635, although he may have been born in London? I have a strong feeling that this must be where the names were joined and where the Abdy Bramston name came from. Its possible the connection was known for a long time as the name continued at least until my great grandfather's brother had it (well, just Abdy, so maybe not.)

There was also a marriage I have come across from a female relative of John Bramston who married an Abdy, but I have found little about it so that is also a possiblity.

So now all I have to do is try and fill in the gap of about 100 years. Problem is, I've been looking around but I'm finding it hard to find some information on the Bramston/ Abdy children/ Grandchildren. Has anyone got any ideas? Anyone seen a book which could help fill me in?

I have to add I'm quite new to family research and got most of this information from a cousin!

More information on the Bramstons and Abdy's if you need it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bramston,_the_younger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bramston,_the_elder

Sasha

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Connection to Sir John Bramston and Alice Abdy?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 10 04:31 GMT (UK) »
hi try goggle books .. they are quite likely to have info ... the gentlemans magazine .. started around 1780 i think , then news papers from that time in the area . i suppose you would go ogle them .. put another message up maybe more specific to the area . find out if he was in military ... try the archives .. a2a ... that will have some info maybe on his land ownership etc .. put something on rootsweb , genuforum ... and of course look up ancestry if you have it in library . sorry i am not computer literate enough to give you links .. so just use your search engine . all the best . frederickay
some of the things i have done as i have a slightly important member in my family .. the DE Brett's ..
look for his arms ... ::)
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 November 10 04:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a family tree on stirnet.com but the site needs a sub - I have been able to copy it to a word document. It has decendents on it. if you want a copy PM me your email address.

Cheers Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flutterbymusic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks for your help! I have Ancestry but my subscription runs out today and I haven't found any good trees for the family on there.

I will PM you tedscout!

Sasha