Author Topic: Bethel Cottage & "Register of Corrected Entries"  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Babs12345656

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bethel Cottage & "Register of Corrected Entries"
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Once again - Thank you so much for your interest. I remember with great happiness the holidays my sister and I spent with Aunt Lil ( JARDINE )  and Uncle John and their family at The Stoop.Uncle John used to keep greyhounds and we would go with him to exercise them each day further down Lockerbie Road near to  the John Peel centre but the opposite side of the road..Their son John Jardine was a folk singer.He died earlier this year.
Going back to Greenbrae Loaning - Aunt Nettie ( CARRICK ) and Uncle Walter lived in Milburn Road and then at the corner of Greenbrae Loaning next to the Butchers.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 October 11 05:12 BST (UK) »

I have fond memories of Lockerbie Road and the Stoop. Remember the names you mention, too.

Back to the house Delvinside, do you know the area it was in? Might have been a Nursing home or hospital.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Babs12345656

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 October 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
No - I am not sure.I have tried to locate it by searching on the name but no luck there either.I will have a look at the file again later today.I am truly grateful for your help.Bye for now.

Offline Babs12345656

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 October 11 08:03 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous reply.
Thomas McAllister was a bandsman and also worked at Grieves ( Printers ) before losing his life in the war.His father was James McAllister who was a master Blacksmith - they lived in Lindsey Place and also in Greenbrae Loaning at one point.
The photo is of Jane Howland ( nee PAUL ) outside Carricklea at Wanlockhead and was taken about 1935-40 I would guess.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 October 11 08:00 BST (UK) »

I don't seem to be of much help. The places you mention, I do remember. Also remember the Jardines, too.

When did your Gt Grandmother Elizabeth McGeorge McAllister die and do you know where she is buried.

cupcake

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 October 11 08:45 BST (UK) »
Have you read the Register of Corrected Entries? It should tell you more. If you have got the certificate on Scotland's People, what you do to get the link to the entry in the RCE is to scroll down the page where you will see where to click. This link is not obvious unless you know it's there.

Graham.

Offline Babs12345656

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 October 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Graham.How do I access the RCE ? Also I haven't got her certificate.She died on 2/2/29 at a house cal;led DELVINSIDE,Greenbrae.I have yet to find out where the house is.Elizabeth McGeorge McAllister was also a wine merchant / grocer in her own right. and had a shop on the corner iof Balmoral Road and the Lockerbie Road.It is now not there but there may be photos somewhere of it.She married James McAllister ( Blacksmith ) 18/6/1875 at Greenbrae Loaning.in 1876 they were at Crown Close.High St and by 1879 they were at Lindsey Place,Greenbrae.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:13 BST (UK) »

I went to the library today.

The Valuation Roll of the Burgh of Dumfries for the year 1921-1922 gives the following information:

Shop - 44 Lockerbie Road - Mrs Elizabeth McAllister - Tennant -  Yearly Rent or Value  £13.0.0
House - 4 Balmoral Road - Mrs Elizabeth McAllister  - Tennant  - Yearly Rent or Value  £13.18.0

So, it appears she lived in Balmoral Road.

No mention of the Delvinside. Makes me think she died, perhaps with family or in a hospital.

Had a quick look for the house in Balmoral Road. Number 4 is opposite Bruno's Restaurant.

cupcake

Offline Babs12345656

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
Once more please accept my gratitude for your help.When I have a few moments I will double check the details that I have for her.I think that at the time of my mother's birth in Bethel Cottage the Pauls and the McAllisters lived next door to each other in Greenbrae Loaning.