Author Topic: How to get back further than 1830?  (Read 2880 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
How to get back further than 1830?
« on: Saturday 30 October 10 06:03 BST (UK) »
The journey of my Murtha ancestors from Dundalk to Sunderland is fairly easy to trace (through the UK census records). The library in Dundalk has been really helpful in finding Murtha(Murtaugh) marriage and baptism records for the family before their departure in 1855/56. But ...

I can't get back to the births (and beyond) of Michael (b1819) and his brother, my g.g.g.great grandfather John (b1823). What will be the best way to proceed?

I could travel to Dundalk but I get a 'feeling' that the Murthas arrived in Dundalk from somewhere else around the turn of that century. It seems that the Murtha name originates in Meath but I'm guessing that it would be almost impossible now to find a paper trail that would link my ancestors.

I would appreciate the advice and wisdom of those who have attempted a similar endeavour.

Many thanks
Malcolm

p.s. Michael married Anne Walsh and John married Alice Duffy.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: How to get back further than 1830?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
The availability of records depends on the family religion and the parish involved. Different dates are available in different areas, and not many Rural Catholic parishes have records before 1830.

RC records for the parish of Dundalk go back to 1790, and are available on microfilm Pos. 5595 in the National Library

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline irishresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Did you get the head of household in the Tithes applotment records of c1830?

As the other poster mentioned- pre 1830 is very difficult if they aren't showing up in the parish register.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've got the householders and Dundalk library were really useful. I guess we will never know much more.

Thank you.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f