Author Topic: BURTON marriage lookup please Plymouth  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: BURTON marriage lookup please Plymouth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 November 10 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Glenda

I see there is much confusion with your George. I'm afraid I cannot find anything, sorry,  but there are experienced researchers on the case. Have you seen this link.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,393580.0.html

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glenda1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 November 10 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evie,
Yes I do know about the messages you refer to.  I am the "lady" that they mentioned.  Laura is also the "new" relative that is doing the same research as me.  We are both looking for the marriage of George Burton in Plymouth, England.  For some reason though Laura has the date as 1847, but I have the date written (on a child's birth certificate) stating it was the 10th April 1851 at Plymouth Devonshire England.  As between the two of you, you have found one in 1851.  This being Elizabeth Vine and George Burton.  Now I need to find out about any children.  As I stated earlier, the only child I can find to an Elizabeth Burton is Joseph Farron Denson Burton (I think they are the correct spellings, I have never heard of these names).  Also on this birth certificate it lists the new child's name as Henry Leopole b: March 1872, and the names of the children from the 1st marriage (as listed earlier) - one being an Alfred Leopole (coincidence?) - the name of Leopole  - Leopold has gone down through the family right to the present time.  So it seems odd if there is no connection.  Again on this birth certificate it lists the name and age of the parents - F:George Montague Burton Painter aged 53 years born in Plymouth Devonshire, England and M: Eliza Burton formerly Harrington maiden name Daley aged 34 years and born in Cork, Ireland.  So you can see why both Laura and I are looking for the 1st marriage.  Kind regards Glenda.
Burton, Daly, Kearney, Kenny, Puttick, Toomey

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 November 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
You say "the only child I can find to an Elizabeth Burton is Joseph Farron Denson Burton (I think they are the correct spellings, I have never heard of these names)".
As the indexes do not list any parents how do you know that the mother is Elizabeth? and it looks like you may have the names wrong:-

FREEBMD has the following index entry
Births Mar 1858 
Burton    Josiah Farrow Dowson         Stoke Damerel    5b   306

The other children do not appear in the indexes and none of them seem to be on the Plymouth baptism CD.

Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline Glenda1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 November 10 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terryleaman,
I found the information on Joseph Burton on the Ancestry site in the 1861 England Census - the mother is actually listed as Mary Ann Elizabeth Burton aged 32 in 1861 child aged 3 Registration District Stoke Damerel. The spelling is definately Joseph Farron Denson Burton aged 3, although the site may have interpreted this incorrectly.  I daresay you have the correct entry. I don't know if this is the correct "Elizabeth" Burton, it is the only one I could find, this entry states that her husband was a seaman, no name.  There is an Elizabeth Vine in the 1841 census (on Ancestry) Registration District Plympton stating she was born in Devon, England in approx 1827.  No parents only another two females, Mary Ann Vine aged 12 and Susanna Vine aged 7 living with John and Thomasin Ford. They are the only Vine names I could find at this stage.  There is another entry for Vine also entered as "Nine" where there is a family in Hartland, Devon with an Elizabeth birthdate 1833 - John and Jane being the parents.
I am just fishing I suppose you would call it.  Need to cover everything I can, I don't really know where I am going.  The marriage certificate of George and Elizabeth won't leave England until the 5th of November, so it is going to be ages before I receive it.
Kind regards,
Glenda
Burton, Daly, Kearney, Kenny, Puttick, Toomey