Author Topic: Daniel and Guida Sandbrook Devonport *COMPLETED*  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Guida Sandbrook Devonport
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 November 10 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
the shipping entry is a mystery isn't it, given how rarely you ever find info like that in an early archway search
and it doesn't show under his wifes name ???

Bye
althea

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 01 November 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Evening all

Wint I can't be the only one suspecting a family myth here. I've checked the passenger list on FindMyPast. Daniel has given his occupation as "farmer." No mention of being a retired draper or anything else. They also travelled third class and are descibed as "steerage" in the summary. In addition this vessel carried nothing but 529 British citizens. There was no one listed under the "Colonial British" description. Mamari was therefore a vessel full of what my father"s generation called "five pound poms." It is probably why he is listed on Archway as John B describes. At some stage he owed that money to the NZ government.

Nothing on the pax list indicates wealth. Quite the opposite in fact. This is reinforced by his "roadman " occupation in his final years. These guys did mostly live in towns but in rural places they often lived in small huts that dotted the roadsides. If he did come from a wealthy Welsh farming family, nothing of that wealth shows in his voyage here nor in his occupations after he arrived.

Alan
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 November 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a probate file at Auckland Archives for

BAZY 4992/Box226  564/1981  HERDMAN Roderick - Rotorua - Retired Board Mills Employee   
 1981     Akld

Cheers Janette

Offline Wint

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 November 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, this is proving an interesting topic. In the 1901 census Daniel is living in Grosvenor House Beverley Minster Yorkshire as is listed as an employer and has one of his employees lodging with the family along with a domestic servant. In the 1911 census he has moved to Fishguard in Pembrokeshire and he is listed as a retired draper. I wonder why on his immigration papers he was listed as a farmer as he trained as a draper from an early age.
I have some nursing records of one of his daughters who stayed in England and on her registation papers she is listed as being educated at a private school in Beverley.
His father, my great grandfather were wealthy farmers in Pembrokeshire and I know this to be true. Several of his brothers moved to London and made a considerable amount of money again in the drapery business.
When his eldest daughter Lesley married in London in 1921 his profession on the marriage certificate was retired draper, intriguing indeed.

Wint
Eddy/Gilbert/Tonkin Porthleven and Flushing
Strachan/Ross/Chessar Aberdeen and Dundee
Jones/Sandbrook/Winter/ Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, New Zealand
Rogers Somerset
Ross South Africa

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wint,

I have just received this from the Funeral Director for Guida

Guida died at 55 Rautara St Orakei  Auckland (may be her sons home) a widow.
Her father was Richardson WILSON a chemist
Mother Mary ADAMS.
Guida was born in Yorkshire England and had been in NZ 35 years.
She was married in Hull England to Daniel SANDBROOK at the age of 21 years. I note that he died in 1921 for the historical BDM web site.
She had one son aged 46 yrs at her death and 4 daughters aged 60, 55, 52 and 50.

Cheers Janette

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 07:22 GMT (UK) »
google maps, great spot, near the waterfront

Wow Janette what a heap of info, top marks to the funeral director
Bye
althea

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Great one Janette, but we are still left with the conundrum of how a wealthy man from the UK ends up in his dotage tending to pot holes in the rural roads of the King Country while his family are seemingly well sited near the Auckland waterfront? Doesn't make sense.

Alan
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
the house looks like it could have been a former state house,there is a large state housing area in Orakei,I wonder if they fell on hard times ,

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I can go to Auckland Archives and get the probates for Nora,Gilbert and Roderick Herdman the son in law,is anyone able to get the intestate papers for Daniel in Wellington

Cheers Janette