Author Topic: Derbyshire Newspapers for 1859 to 1861  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derbyshire Newspapers for 1859 to 1861
« on: Saturday 30 October 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

Can anyone let me know if any Newspapares for Derby, Chesterfield and Derbyshire are searchable online.

I am looking for newpaper reports concerning the death of Emma Graham Eardly Garrett which I know took place in 1861 and the imprisonment of her husband Rev. Henry Godden Garrett who was in Derby Gaol at the time of the 1861 Census following a court case against him in 1859 and 1860.

many thanks

Richard  :)
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Newspapers for 1859 to 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard.... :)

I can't tell from your profile just where you are...but if your local library subscribes to the Gale/Infotrac newspaper group you can access them online with your library card number.

There are references to Henry Garrett's case but here is the one reporting Emma's death.

The Derby Mercury Wednesday, January 23, 1861

DEATHS

On Monday last at Derby, in her 28th year, EMMA GRAHAM EARDLEY, the beloved wife of the Rev. Henry G Garrett, S.C.L. and only daughter of the late Captain W.H. Eardley Howard. H.E. I. C.S.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Newspapers for 1859 to 1861
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 10 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,
If you can't find any more information online this might help:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ara/

Just type in the name of the town; and it will give you a list of the newspapers, dates of publication, and where they are held.
The dates given by Dizzifish might help narrow down a search in a library willing to photocopy information, and post on.
Might be worth googling on googlebooks, too.

Good luck + Happy Christmas,
Paulene :)