Author Topic: *** COMPLETED *** 1861 Address in St Monance  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
*** COMPLETED *** 1861 Address in St Monance
« on: Saturday 30 October 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I've come across an unusual address on the 1861 Census for St Monance (St Monans) for the family of Alexander and Isabella Gowans ... PENTTIE'S SQUARE

It's most likely to be another A* 'transcription error' but I can't find it on a current street map for the town so presumably it's long gone :(

It may have to wait until I can get to Edinburgh again but, in the meantime, has anyone got any suggestions?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanato5

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Address in St Monance
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
hi chiad, yes it does look like pentties square,had a look on sp could it no be peatties square,
 the robert scott at top of cencus is 111 looks like cribs wynd there is only 4 houses,so if you manage to find cribs wynd on a map  it will give you an idea of where the place was,       eva
mcgilp & pringle,kilbride ,bute                                                 
mackie,fife .                                                                 
brabender& pringle,glasgow.edward biggar,peebles                                                 
pringle&brown,& aitken,glasgow ,                                                           
wight,east lothian & borders.little,lothian.

Offline sidsmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Still Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Chaid
I had fun looking for place where my Grandfather, James Smith, was born in St Monance  on birth cert it said  The Cribbs  St. Monance
There are only a few houses there so still dont know which one he was born in  lol
regards
Sid
SMITH.. Cellardyke, Fife, Scotland
GERRARD ..Pittenweem, St Monance, Fife
DEWAR..Kikcaldy.. Fife
CRICHTON...Fife
GRUBB .. Crail, Fife
HAMILTON .. St Andrews and St Leonards, Fife
BALFOUR, Ferry Port on Craig, Fife
WATT ..  Cellardyke
PROUDFOOT & CRAWFORD.. Torryburn Fife
EISEN   PHILLIPS, WISEMAN ..Sth Australia
CRICHTON Victoria,Aust.
WISEMAN..Barrow, Suffolk
VANT.. Yorkshire & Kent

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 10 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I've come across an unusual address on the 1861 Census for St Monance (St Monans) for the family of Alexander and Isabella Gowans ... PENTTIE'S SQUARE

It's most likely to be another A* 'transcription error' but I can't find it on a current street map for the town so presumably it's long gone :(

It may have to wait until I can get to Edinburgh again but, in the meantime, has anyone got any suggestions?

Regards
Chiad Fhear

I've had a look at the census myself, and as nanato5 suggests, it is definitely Peattie's Square. Peattie has always been a common name in St. Monans, and it was probably called after a local resident, but in the course of time names get changed.

Cribs Wynd is now The Cribbs, and I believe it runs north from Mid Shore. There's also a Narrow Wynd (which is!) and a Coal Wynd.

I knew several Peatties and Gowans(es) from St. Monans at school in the 60s.

Hello Sid Smith, if you're reading this! I thought you would have had all your ancestors neatly sorted out by now, but I see you're still hard at it. Maybe you're like me - when you've attended to the trunk and the main branches there are still the outlying twigs to check on.

Harry

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi hdw, nanato, and sidsmith

Thanks for your help.  Peattie's Square it is then!

That's one 'Question needing answered' that I can knock off the list for my next visit to Edinburgh ;)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk