Author Topic: sligo marriage of Edward Wilson and Ellen McIlroy  (Read 3644 times)

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sligo marriage of Edward Wilson and Ellen McIlroy
« on: Sunday 31 October 10 00:16 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me find out about my Wilson family in Sligo. My great grandfather Thomas Wilson was born in 1864 at Templehouse Sligo, his father and older brothers George Edward and Robert were all Stonemasons. His parents Edward Wilson and Ellen (Helen) McIlroy were married in Sligo between 1835 and 1843 (I think). Ellen McIlroys father George McIlroy was a House Factor. Edward Wilson was born in County Down and Ellen was born in Sligo. Thomas's brother George married an Eliza Phillips in Sligo in 1864 and this is all I know about the family. I would love to find out when Edward and Ellen were married. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. The family all moved to Glasgow around 1865/66 although George and Edward jnr. returned sometime after 1881 as they are both on the 1901 census. George died 1906 in Sligo

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: sligo marriage of Edward Wilson and Ellen McIlroy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 10 10:45 GMT (UK) »
You will need to research parish records to locate Edward and Ellen's marriage since the dates you mention are before the start of any civil marriage registration records. To do this you need to know the family religion and the location the marriage took place - i.e. parish or town

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane for your reply. I have tried the family search index records and there is nothing there, I have also tried the Irish Family History Foundation site for Sligo which is a pay as you view site and found nothing. The problem with this site is you pay your money not having any idea if it is the correct person or not, with the Scottish records you have an idea before you pay if it is the correct person. I looked at 10 records and none of them were the correct ones. I know they were Church of Ireland and that all their children were born in Sligo and as Ellen was born and brought up there I am assuming she was married there. It was Sligo they left from when coming to Scotland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
You could have a problem locating CofI parish records for the marriage of Edward and Ellen if it took place in the Templehouse Demesne area...as far as I can tell it's located in the Civil/CofI parish of Kilvarnet. This parish is based in the townland of the same name -  but I cant see any mention of records for it in the RCB lists, Ryans etc...

RC records for Templehouse are recorded in the parish of Ballysodare, so I checked if any marriage records are available in that CofI parish... but they only go back to 1845 (possibly civil mariages)

The IFHF website sources for Sligo does not include CofI records for either Ballisodare or Kilvarnet

see some details on the parish from Topographical Directory of Ireland by Samuel Lewis dated 1837 on the Library Ireland website : http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/k8.php (scroll down near the end of the page)

Kilvarnet, a parish, in the barony of Liney,
  county of Sligo, and province of Connaught, 5 miles
  (N by W.) from Ballymote,..... purposes. The
  principal seats are Temple House,
  that of Col. A. Perceval, a handsome modern mansion,
  on the border of a fine lake and in an extensive and
  well-planted demesne....

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests