Author Topic: John READ. chewton/clutton mariage look up please  (Read 3794 times)

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John READ. chewton/clutton mariage look up please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for all the information. I haven't located John and Jane Read in the 1841 census, but only managed to find them in the 1851 census where they are living in Bedminster. John is age 80, having been born in 1771. Jane's birth place is given as Clutton, so I was wondering if there was a marriage entry for her in that parish, if nothing is in the Chewton Parish?
There are now 2 baptism dates for John Read 1814 and 1815. Which one is correct....... Perhaps the family would have been non conformists ?
In the 1851 census John and Jane's son John was also living in Bedminster, with his wife Elizabeth and children Jane, Sarah, Matilda and Ann. John jnr surname is given as REED, not Read by the enumerator, so it took some time to locate them !
I haven't been able to locate any of the family in the 1841 census !
The next step to confirm any detail, is to find the marriage of Jane in Clutton. Hopefully this will give a maiden name.
Could you give me the details of the family in the 1841 census and also the details on Ann, the daughter you mentioned. As I have only located the family in 1851, the children are long gone from the older generation.

kind regards
Hobbyhorse
ps have found John read    born 1816, in Monmouthshire, in the 1841 census. transcribed as Jorgon Read !!   

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
John Read is at what is presumably the same address in 1841 as 1851:  Back Lane, Bedminster   HO107/0376/7/~F23 (Maybe described as North Cottage Back Lane)

Read    John    70   Ag Lab    Yes    
Read    Jane    60          Yes    
Read    Ann    15          Yes
Samuel Fudge 15    Ag Lab     Yes

Different census services sometimes number the folios differently; if you can't find him from the reference try searching for Samuel Fudge. There can also be confusion as to whether Bedminster was in Somerset or Gloucestershire.

As I said before, Clutton marriages are covered by the CD of North Somerset marriages issued by the B&AFHS. There is no sign of John and Jane's wedding there. Chewton Mendip is just outside the region covered, but Old Bristolian has checked there for you. Presumably at least one of them was temporarily resident semewhere else and that's where they married. ...although I see he only checked up to 1806, Since the only children we know of were born after 1814 we can ask him if he would be so kind as to check a bit further (All parishes were issued new registers in 1812 so he might not have the microfiches of the later years.)

I'm not sure what to make of the two sons called John. Either the first one died and they used the name again - commonly done - or they had him baptised again after joining the Methodists. I wouldn't have thought that was very likely, but I don't know much about their practices.

David

PS Ah! the second John was born in 1815, so he must be a separate baby - unless there were two John and Jane Reads living in Widcombe at the time.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've checked the marriage register right through to 1817, but no John Read I'm afraid - I think the answer must lie with Non-Con records

Steve

Chewton Mendip OPC
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated. John and Jane must have been married in another parish, or possibly the 1802 Bath entry. They may have married anywhere..... I have John jnr's marriage to Elizabeth in Pontypool, Monmouthshire. He must have met her, whilst working in the mines.
As the names are so common and there is no mention in Chewton Mendip, I suppose it is imposible to trace the correct names.
Thanks for all your help and I will have a look at the Bedminster records, next to see if there are any records there.
kind regards
Hobbyhorse

Offline Tuhoto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 November 10 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 
I also have the common ancestor of John Read and Jane Purnell however through their son James (John's brother) who sailed to Australia.  James' daughter Jane kept a family bible with all the births handwritten in the front.  From that family bible we have gained the following information:
JOHN READ was born on the 19th of May, 1771
JANE PURNELL was born on the 9th of April 1781
Thank you so much to the previous contributor's as I have also been able to fill in a lot of blanks regarding my family history now thanks to your selfless giving up of your time.
Hope this helps hobbyhorse

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 November 10 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tuhoto
How fantastic to have a family bible. Thankyou ever so much for the information about John and Jane. Is there any reference to their places of birth or any of John and Jane's children? Also does it give the parents of John and Jane?
I have been trying to find the Reads for a few years, as I didn't know my great grandfather, born in 1885's place of birth.
They lived in Bedminster, which was a very poor place, so James was very lucky to move to get a better start in life. It must have been amazing to see Australia, when people first started settling there.
John's son, John went to London as a paver!
It is mentioned on these postings that John Read was a widower, when he married Jane. Would you know who is first wife was?
kind regards

Hobbyhorse

Offline Tuhoto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 November 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
There is no reference to any places of birth at all in the family bible and no mention of James' siblings - only the direct lineage.  I have John Read Seniors place of birth as Chewton Mendip from 1851 census info & Jane Purnell's place of birth as Clutton. 
I have not been able to locate names of parents for John.  I also don't know John's first wife's details (I wish I did). 
However Jane's parents were Aaron Purnell and her mother was Love Challenger.  AARON PURNELL was born on 19 July 1760 at Clutton, Somerset, England and was buried on 13 January 1839 at St Augustine of Hippo Denomination Anglican, Clutton, age 79.  LOVE CHALLENOR or CHALLENGER was christened on 21 May 1759 at Independent, Chelwood, Somerset.  Aaron & Love married on 17 April 1780 at Clutton, Somerset, England.
Aaron and Love PURNELL had 8 children that I know of all born at Clutton:
JANE PURNELL born 9 April 1781 and married JOHN READ
Bestsy Purnell christened 30 November 1783
Moses Purnell christened 15 April 1787
Aaron Purnell christened 10 January 1790 but died the next month on 5 February 1790
Sarah Purnell christened 26 June 1791
James Purnell christened 27 July 1794
Anna Purnell christened 21 December 1794
Grace Purnell christened 18 October 1796
Clutton was only a small village at the time the Purnell’s lived there.  In 1811 there were only 998 people living there.

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thankyou for all the amazing information. What an unusual name Love Challenger. Perhaps she was of puritan descent!
I will have a look at what records I do have and see if I can find out anything about the Purnell family.
Thankyou very much again for the information, from the bible.
kind regards
Hobbyhorse

Offline bananabodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John READ Chewton Mendip
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 March 13 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello David - I have recently discovered this post exchange Re: John Read of Chewton Mendip/Bedminster, and found your contributions very valuable.
Would like to know if you or any of the other contributors have found any further data on this family group since 2010? John Read was my 4th Ggf.
Thanks very much, Anna