Author Topic: Littlemoor near Glossop  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Anne SH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Littlemoor near Glossop
« on: Tuesday 02 November 10 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Can someone help me locate Littlemoor, where my 3-greats (Joseph HAGUE married to Martha FIELDING) lived in 1851 and 61 censuses? (1851 page says Whitfield Twp, Glossop subdist; 1861 says Whitfield Twp, Glossop Town.

Does anyone know of names of factories/records in the Littlemoor area at this time? Joseph Hague worked in one as a timekeeper.

Thanks for any help. Anne SH

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Re: Littlemoor near Glossop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Turnlee Paper Mills & Howards Town Mills, were in the Whitfield Littlemoor area. bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Anne SH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 10 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your quick reply. I was sloppy: I should have specified cotton mills. Was Howards Town a cotton mill? Anne SH

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Howard Town was the name given to what is now the centre of modern Glossop when it developed as a result of the cotton boom of the first half of the 19th century. The name distinguished it from Glossop township (now Old Glossop).

Littlemoor is actually in Whitfield township. The name distinguishes it from Whitfield High Moor, both of which were enclosed in 1813.

See the Glossop Heritage web site at http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/index.html for further details, including information about the mills at http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/mills01.htm

Graham

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 December 10 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Just as a (probably irrelevant) matter of interest.

One of the most famous residents of Littlemoor was Paul Raymond (of Raymond's Revuebar, Soho etc.). I knew he had lived in Glossop during world war II but only realised on seeing a documentary a few days ago that he lived more or less next to Littlemoor Chapel.

Graham