Author Topic: Broomfield  (Read 6873 times)

Offline KBroomfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Broomfield
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much monica - your a gem  :D

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 October 22 06:07 BST (UK) »
The Sydney Morning Herald of 28th November 1855 reports that ' "The Waterloo" sailed from Plymouth on 14th August and arrived in Sydney on 27th November, 1855.' The Waterloo was a Duncan Dunbar ship, possibly built in Sunderland. I think that there is a very strong likelihood that John Broomfield from Edinburgh was the Mr Broomfield a passenger on this voyage. John Broomfield as an Immigrant does not appear in the State Records of New South Wales or PRO VIC. I wonder why his arrival was missed?

John Broomfield died on 13th August, 1885 at 59 Wellington Street, Collingwood and on his Death Certificate it states that he was in Victoria for 30 years which would make it 1855. On this Certificate John's age is given as 56 and his parents are recorded as Richard Broomfield a Baker and Catherine (Stevenson) Broomfield.

Within a very short period (days rather than weeks) John moved on quite possibly to Buninyong before or at the same time that he settled in Ballarat. A Crown Grant's reference shows that in 1855 a John Broomfield was granted land in Buninyong - Por 22, Lot 31 No 38261 'the Grant was made on 6th December, 1855 to a John Broomfield 20a 3r 26p, at Buninyong' [Crown Land Deeds - PRO VIC land records]. Response from the Buninyong and District Historical Society on 20th January, 2012 "I checked our records and the only reference I found was in the 1856 Electoral Roll for John Bromfield, farmer, Mount Buninyong. He would have been one of the very early purchases of land in that very beautiful and fertile area near Mount Buninyong. It would appear he soon sold the land, because his name does not appear in any other directories or rate records in Buninyong."

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 October 22 06:10 BST (UK) »
Scotland - Censuses -
* 1841 a Broomfield Household with Bakers as Occupations - is listed at 7 West Newington, Newington, St Cuthberts, Midlothian - Adam Broomfield 58 a Baker (born outside the County); James Broomfield 26 a Baker, Journeyman; John Broomfield 18 a Baker Apprentice, born c1823 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian; James Broomfield 15; Jane Broomfield 47 and Agnes Broomfield 16. Two questions arise - 1. Is this possibly John Broomfield born c1823/1824 and not in 1829? 2. Is James Broomfield 26 an older brother to John Broomfield c1823/1824?
* In 1851 at Sibbald Place, St Cuthberts, Midlothian - Adam Broomfield 69 Retired Baker; James Broomfield 24 a Mercantile Clerk and Agnes Broomfield 27 Housekeeper (part of the family from the 1841 Census).
* While in 1851 at 73 Pleasance Street, Barony of Canongate, St Cuthberts, Midlothian there are two people - John Broomfield 27, Head a Baker Unmarried, born in Edinburgh, Barony of Canongate, Midlothian - employing 2 Men. (Once again - is this possibly John Broomfield born c1823/1824 and not 1829?) and his sister Elizabeth Broomfield 23 Unmarried born Edinburgh, Barony of Canongate, Midlothian (this throws things out as Elizabeth Broomfield would have been born c1828). However a person's age as recorded in these Censuses is only approximate, and Elizabeth may have been say 25. A conclusion I could draw [in the absence of birth or baptism records which remain elusive] is that John Broomfield was more likely born c1824 and not 1829.

Offline rockhopper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 October 22 06:23 BST (UK) »
This is my assessment -
Richard Broomfield or Bromfield
1790–1825
BIRTH 16 FEB 1790 • Greenlaw, Berwickshire, Scotland
DEATH 4 DEC 1825 • St Marys Wynd, Royal Mile, Canongate, Midlothian, Scotland.
Catharine Stevenson
1793–1830
BIRTH 6 JUL 1793 • Canongate, Edinburgh, Scotland
DEATH 10 FEB 1830 • Infirmary, Canongate (Holyrood), Edinburgh, Scotland
John Broomfield
1824–1885
BIRTH C1824 • Edinburgh, Midlothian
DEATH 13 AUG 1885 • 59 Wellington Street, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia.