Author Topic: McKirdy, Muddiman, Kerr, McKechnie, Murray  (Read 8585 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McKirdy, Muddiman, Kerr, McKechnie, Murray
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

Why don't you post the details of what you have found on Family Search so we can understand better what you are looking at?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hamon44

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica,

No christian name, McKirdy, birth 15 Dec. 1881 Anderston, Glasgow Lanark

I can't find anything on SP, probably because there is no christian name and SP weren't too helpful.  I also spoke to GROS and they said I couldn't order a certificate without all the details.

I am looking for my grandfather, Robert Mckirdy,  and I found out from his father's poor relief application that Robert was born in Anderston.  He died in Dublin in 1924 aged 43 so 1881 would be his birth year.

I was told by someone at the research centre here in WA that I wouldn't get anymore info from the film than I have but I'm not sure that is right.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
You can look at this birth entry on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (which is much cheaper than ordering the cert and also you can view it on line). There is only one male birth for a McKirdy in Anderston between 1881-2 (I checked 1882 as sometimes registrations for events at the end of the year can spill over to the January registers of the following year). This birth entry shows for 1881 in Anderston.

If what you have is all that is showing, then likely as you have been told, that is likely to be all that shows on the film unfortunately.

Still worries me that Alexander and wife Janet showed with no children between their marriage up to 1881...

Like we have discussed before, think there is a chance that Robert could actually be the illegitimate child of Christina Taylor whose birth details you have already found. Given that you have found Alexander, sister in law Christina and son Robert on the Irish censuses for 1901 and 1911, it further adds to this.

Following this guessing  ::) it could well be that Robert gave Alexander's name for his marriage details in later years.

One thing though, you mentioned poor relief application details for father Alexander. When were these from and what did they say about a possible son?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hamon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 May 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica, I've been through most of the SP entries of births and deaths from 1877 to 1900 but can't find any children.

Janet died in Dublin in Dec 1897.  Her sister Christina died in 1919 in the Dublin Union Workhouse.  From the wording on the death cert it looks as if she wasn't there for long.  I am going to try to get the details as they may show the next of kin.

The family returned to Glasgow but not sure when but they were there in 1917 when twins were born.  I don't know if Alexr stayed in Ireland until Christina died.

Alex applied for poor relief in January 1920.  It shows he was living with Robert in Kennedy Street and Robert was 41, married and had five children.

If Robert was 41 in 1920 he would have been born in 1879, but the whole family seemed to gain or lose five years when it suited them.   Christina's son was definitely born in 1874, I found his registration.  I have tried to find him as both Kerr and Taylor but no luck there either so still guessing.

I don't know where to go from here.  I thought I had hit the nail on the head with the Family Search record.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 May 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
This is the birth in Anderston 1881

1881 MCKIRDY RICHARD OLIVER Male at  ANDERSTON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/10 0992

Father Charles McKirdy - Mother Helen Oliver

Offline hamon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 May 11 06:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sancti, had looked that one up but the birth date is August.  The entry on the Family Search gives a birth date of 15th December 1881.  I think I will order the LDS film to see if there are any clues.

Thanks again

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 May 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
There is no other McKirdy birth in Anderston so I wonder where the entry on familysearch came from

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 May 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
I think McKirdy is originally a Bute name!     Skoosh.

Offline hamon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 May 11 02:13 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure where family search got the entry from Sancti but there is a definite birth date and area so I'm hoping the film will show the baptisimal records.

I've traced them back to School Lane in Largs Skoosh.  I haven't got an exact date for the ggggf but it was around 1770.  He died in 1846 aged 76.  The only entry about that time was twins born 1773, Alex and Margett to Robert McKirdy, no mother's name.  I think the Bute connection would kick in there but there are so many I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks both