Author Topic: Hughes family. Llanllechid (Update. Now discounted I think!)  (Read 7615 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes family. Llanllechid .
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bronnie

Good idea to get the 2nd marriage cert if possible :)

After properly reading the info on the link I posted, I had a couple of thoughts. 

As a platelayer for rail - either underground at Festiniog or maintaining the above ground portion of the quarry railway, and from the address in 1901, William was most likely an employee of the Oakley Quarry.  I don't know if there are records existing for it but it might be worth checking with the Caernarfon Record Office to findout.  If not Caernarfon it might be at Dolgellau?   Finding out when he started with them might be a real bonus!

My gut feeling is that he was born in Bangor and not Llanllechid as there would be no apparent reason for stating otherwise.  Also that he was unlikely to have started working life as a joiner.  You also need to keep in mind that Bangor did not necessarily only mean the city of Bangor it could have been Pentir which was in the diocese of Bangor ::)  The other possibility is that even though he was born in Bangor he may have grown up in Dolwyddelan.  So a study of 1871 and 1881 there might not go amiss.    He has to be there somewhere in those censuses.  If it takes making up mini trees for all of the Hughes in order to discount them from the birth registers in 1866/7 you will find him eventually! 

Also keep in mind that many young men took lodgings close to their families when younger children took precedence or one of the parents remarried.    A study of the other Hughes families in the area in 1891 with any family members born in the Bangor area might also be helpful ;)    Just because no family as witnesses on the wedding does not mean they were not in attendance.   Have you been able to locate Jno (John) Wynne??  This could be him

1891 Festiniog  ref  RG12/Piece4645/Folio26/Page 28
John Wynne 31, Slate Quarryman, b Festioniog
Ann Wynne, 28, SQ wife
Ann Jones, 11, niece
Ellin Wynne, 5, dau
Robert Wynne, 8 mnths, son
All born Festiniog
Just a friend or a relative?

Keep the faith!
Heather 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bronnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes family. Llanllechid (Update. Now discounted I think!)
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 November 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your pointers.

On reflection, think Hughes Llanllechid is to be discounted! My gut feeling is that my William is a loner in the area in some way, either by family fragmentation, death of parents, illegitimate .....One of my Taid's sisters lived in BF all her life until she died in the 1970's, and my family kept in contact with her and her sister.  Were William's family to be around there, I feel sure there would be some mention of a name, photo, anecdote etc. As it is, everything and everybody  I know and have evidence of,  relates to his William's first wife's family.

Something I hadn't  ever considered though, older sons taking lodgings in their own area, to make room at home for younger siblings. Thanks!

John Wynne (witness) was lodging with a Hughes family (butcher)in the area  in 1881, but have traced them back and can't see any connection to mine.

There were a couple of Hughes males of appropriate ages  b Bangor in Ffestiniog in 1911, have checked them back too. Have trouble getting clear results on Ancestry, not helped by the fact that Bangor comes up as Cardiganshire on their default  ;D  option and therefore the results are skewed to that county >:(. have reported it, but they said it can take several weeks to fix as problems are ranked in importance by number of users affected. HmmI

Anyway, am taking a stab at the second-marriage cert this week. Will update the thread with any findings!Thanks again  ;D

Bron
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hughes.  Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birkenhead, Liverpool
Roberts. Bedgellert, Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Williams. Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog,  Holyhead,  Ystalyfera
Jones. Holyhead, Birkenhead, Liverpool

...and on the other side
Holland   Frodsham, Liverpool
Bold       Liverpool
Kay        Glasgow, Liverpool
Wilkinso

Offline vickyparry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes family. Llanllechid (Update. Now discounted I think!)
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 22 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hiya,it has been called Llanllechid near Bangor,some people still say that.
Father's surname-Smith,gran was Corden-Manchester/Nottingham. Mother's maiden name-Parry,family from Pentraeth,Anglesey. Great Great granparents were Charles and Mary Conlon-Ireland.Great grandfather  was William E. Conway-Old Colwyn.