Author Topic: Athlone Barracks  (Read 9876 times)

Offline angela woolhouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Athlone Barracks
« on: Tuesday 02 November 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can find out which troops were stationed in the Athlone Barracks during the 1890's.
My family tree has two sisters born in Westmeath who married soldiers from the barracks. Mary Cunningham married John Connell O'Brien in 1894,John deserted when he was posted to Africa in 1901-2.Never to be heard of again. Elizabeth married a Pierce/Pearce. In 1901 census she has three children in care and is widowed. Elizabeth died soon after and the children never knew there father.
Thanks for your help.
Angela

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Athlone Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
marriage certs often mention details of regiment or unit for army men... which might help

If you can locate a birth cert for one of Elizabeth's children you could establish her husbands name and occupation and maybe help you to locate a marriage for them.

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline angela woolhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I do have a transcript of the marriage naming the husband as John Walter Pierce, address as the barracks Athlone but on the daughters marriage cert. he is given as George Walter Pearce (deceased) staff Sergeant major.
I know my family could tell a good story but this is stupid. I can't find a birth for my grand mother (one of the daughters) but found her in care,her sister was not there.
Thanks for your help,I shall try again.
regards,A.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.athlonelive.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=383

Has a full History of the Barracks in Athlone.  Lovely Pics. You could post a query there.

http://www.athlonelive.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8

Information about British Army records, including those for the Irish regiments,  if they exist, are usually obtained at The National Archives of England, at Kew in London.

PM

Offline angela woolhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I may have to go to Kew in the summer then. I hear the gardens are nice anyway.
Thanks again :D