Author Topic: Gravesend Murder - 1950's  (Read 8300 times)

Offline DanW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gravesend Murder - 1950's
« on: Tuesday 02 November 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

The details are a little scarce in this request, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case anyone knows anything that may help.

My father was born and raised in Gravesend, and lived there from 1942 to the mid 60's.  He recently got back in touch with an old school friend who he was at Gordon's School with and, during a chat, his friend asked him if he remembered the murder that took place in the area.  My father was surprised as this was the first he'd ever heard of such an incident.  His friend then spoke to an elderly relative of his, a woman in her 70's, and she too was able to recall the incident.  She seems to recall the victim had his throat cut, but wasn't 100% sure.  The incident took place sometime in the 50's (early 60's at a push) and the victim lived locally.  No-one can remember his surname.  My father cannot recall it ever being spoke about among his family. 

My father's parents have long passed away and there is nobody on our side who was around at the time who we can ask.  Details are vague, but I guess there can't have been too many murders in Gravesend in the 50's.

I appreciate this is a long shot but I just wondered whether anyone here knows of ways in which we might be able to dig up some information about this 'murder'.

Kind regards!!

Dan

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gravesend Murder - 1950's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan  :)

Try www.towncentric.co.uk.
The library at the moment is going through a refurb and located elsewhere in town.

best wishes..... Iris :)

Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
The Discover Gravesham site http://www.discovergravesham.co.uk/ has a menu on the right hand side with a category Gravesend Chronology, which has lots of events occurring in different decades. Quite fascinating all the different snippets of news, I can't see anything about a murder in the '50's, but I only scanned through so may be worth a closer look.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 November 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
A trawl through the local newspaper archives would seem to be the logical route.  A shame you can't narrow down the date or have a name.  I looked on the Times online archive for "Gravesend murder" between 1948-1962 and got no results.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline DanW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 November 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, OP here again...

Many thanks to those who have replied so far.  A little more information...

An elderly relative of the person who told us the story also seems to recollect the incident quite clearly, and has given the name, as far as she can recollect, of (name removed by moderator) as the victim.  No nearer to getting a more precise date unfortunately.

Once again, thanks to those who has helped so far.

Dan.

Offline ancestor addict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 08:35 BST (UK) »
I have come across your posting on a murder in Gravesend in the 1950's I wonder if it was a young irish man called John or Sean Walsh.  I have am doing my son in laws family history and his uncle was found dead and I believe the murderer was never found.
I should be very interested if you have found anything further about this incident

Offline r1ecc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 November 21 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’ve only just seen this I assume you may have the answer already as it was posted quite some time ago.

However I believe what you are thinking of is the Edward Sims double murder of Lilian Edmeades and Malcolm Johnson, both aged 16.  Murdered on the Gravesend Marshes.