Author Topic: Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders WW1  (Read 14290 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders WW1
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 July 13 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Edowds

Good to hear from you. I wonder if you have any information on any of the men ( other than your great grandad ) in the photo. I am still trying to establish if the man marked with the cross was my grandad James Mc Leish. Unfortunately there are no family members left who can tell me if he is a long last relative ! There appear to be no medals or war records of James. I don't think his army experience was a very positive one and any reminders have   long ago been destroyed.

Regards Orkrad

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 July 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
the 1/5th argylls definately served overseas, on my grandfathers marriage cert he gave his address as Sunderland (barracks) and we know that he served in Egypt and also  on the western front, if my memory serves me right, the 1/5th joined with the 51st lowland division, my grandfather was a Greenock man born and bred and he died in Greenock, but I cannot trace his war record as it was one of the burnt ones.

regards
Kathy

Has to be either 51st Highland Division or 52nd Lowland Division.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline edowds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 July 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Edowds

Good to hear from you. I wonder if you have any information on any of the men ( other than your great grandad ) in the photo. I am still trying to establish if the man marked with the cross was my grandad James Mc Leish. Unfortunately there are no family members left who can tell me if he is a long last relative ! There appear to be no medals or war records of James. I don't think his army experience was a very positive one and any reminders have   long ago been destroyed.

Regards Orkrad

Sorry Orkrad but I don't know anyone else in the photo

Offline BDowds123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 July 22 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I hope this can be of some use. The gentleman in the middle is Sergant James Dowds - my great x3 Grandfather. I don't have his service number however he should be easy to find he was recruiting Sgt :) - would contact the McLean museum in greenock to see if they have any more info

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 03:53 BST (UK) »
 Hi there , What a surprise to get a  new reply from a post I started in 2010. I have put this bit of family history on the back burner as I  have had no success in finding if my Grandad did in fact serve overseas. We have no records or medals to consult.  I have contacted the  Argyll and Sutherland  museum at Stirling Castle, the Greenock Telegraph archives and tried contacting the British Legion as one relative remembered James McLeish's  funeral at the Greenock cemetery when the coffin was covered by a flag.  British legion records have apparentlydisappeared so no joy there. Had a look at the Mc Lean Museum site but it doesnt appear to have any photos of local servicemen from WW1.  Do you know if Is there a direct email address for the museum. As  I  live  in New Zealand  I need to access online sources to help my research.  Thanks for getting in touch. Regards Orkrad.