Author Topic: (De) Gruchy variations?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(De) Gruchy variations?
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit of a long shot, I'll admit, but I have been researching the name Goosney in Newfoundland for about 20 years.  I've come to the conclusion that Goosney must be a local variation of some other name.  Family tradition is the the Goosneys were from the Channel Islands, so I have been investigating surnames of CI to see if any might be the original name. 

My initial candidate was Gasnier, but some preliminary research in that area hasn't given me any firm leads.  Now I'm looking into (De) Gruchy.  There are Gruchys/Grouchys/De Gruchys in Newfoundland, but not in the immediate are where my ancestors settled, so my theory of a local variation might still work.  I haven't been able to find a link with any local Gruchys so far.

I have worked the line back to James Goosney, married to Sarah ? sometime prior to 1831 when their first child was born.  Based on some other records I'm pegging his birth somewhere around 1795, but that could be give or take 10 years.  I do not have a birth or marriage record for James, only birth records for his children by Sarah.  He may have had a brother John, born about 1805 and married in Newfoundland in 1827, and I have a death record for Robert Goosney, b circa 1765 who may have been John and James father.  Isaac also seems to be a common family name.

I'm looking for opinions on whether Goosney seems like a possible variation of (de) Gruchy.  If so, are there any (de) Gruchy researchers who have any records which might match up to my James/John/Robert in Newfoundland. 

I understand there is a book on the de Gruchys published by the Channel Island Family History Society, but it is no longer available on their website.  Does anyone have a copy of this book that they would be willing to consult for me?  Or is there somewhere else I could purchase it?

thanks,

Jennifer.