Author Topic: Caswell family  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Zelzebub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caswell family
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Just registered on Roots.chat and I'm all at sea finding my way around. However, I remember seeing a posting from username 'spec' in response to another posting about the Caswell family of Wiltshire. This posting identified various family members, viz, Caswell, Pointing, etc, all of whom appear in my wife's family tree which I am currently researching.

However, I have hit a brick wall with the parentage of Mary Caswell (b 1702, d 1776, m Hugh Pottow 1730). I am missing one, maybe two, generations prior to these people. This is pretty crucial to further research, since I have indications thereafter, through the distaff lines to an earlier Caswell marriage (Somerford/Davenport/Burchell/Hyde) to links with both the Tudor Blood Royal on the one hand and William the Conqueror on the other hand (with suggestions of Cleopatra and Phillip of Macedonia before that!).

If anyone can help with the Hugh Pottow/Mary Caswell parentage, it would be very useful.

I have Mary Caswell's parents as Will Kissel (Caswell) - b 1648 -  and Catherine Burchell - b unknown). However, I also have records of another Will Kissel and Catherine Burchell almost exactly 100 years earlier and it is from the Burchell side that the William the Conqueror link descends.