Author Topic: Argyll research  (Read 32430 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Alan Mac,
I found a Ranald McDougall Registrar signing a certificate for one of my relatives.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 December 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone on here stay up late and watch that program where this irishman or scotsman goes wandering all over the mountains and  valleys around Scotland giving a history lesson.  Apparently the picts did not die out during the time that everyone think that they did. There have found proof that they survived longer than at first thought, possibly another 1,000 or so years.
Cannot remember the guys name, but if im awake enough I find it all very interesting.

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 December 10 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I think we're still here Marcie!      Skoosh.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 16 December 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Marcie, do you mean the Neil Oliver series?    History of Scotland?  It's on about it's 3rd repeat showing and still enjoyable, but sometimes it can also be frustrating.

I realise nobody can encapsulate the huge subject into tiddly half hour programmes without missing huge huge chunks, but sometimes the quick summary and jump over 50 odd years has me really cross!  Thank goodness for history books, hope even in this electronic age they never go out of fashion..   Scenery is wonderful though (and that includes Neil Oliver)
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 17 December 10 00:45 GMT (UK) »
 Maggie,
would totally agree.  Mmm! worth watching.  Originally I thought that they were going to follow on, then realised that they did not quite.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 17 December 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I think we're still here Marcie!      Skoosh.
Sorry, just read that again. I had to chuckle.  what lesson are we on now then.?
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
guess what I received as one of my presents for Xmas

My Baby sister bought me a copy of, A History of Scotland by Neil Oliver 8)

How's that!

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 04 March 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glasvaar,

Do you live at Glasvaar? I ask because I am an Argyll native who immigrated to Canada in 1967, but I recognize that place name as a farm where my MACVICAR relatives were at one time.

Mary
formerly of Tayvallich
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 05 July 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
hi don't know if you can help,i have been lookingfor the death date of Helen mcCready from dunoon, the last address I have for her is 23 cowal place dunoon 1970 she lived with my relation he was john Kelly who died in 1970 at 23 cowal place he would be 93 if he lived so I am thinking Helen would have been same age. would love if you could help or advise . thanks  ???