Author Topic: David Simpson Railway guard of Londonderry  (Read 4390 times)

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Simpson Railway guard of Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
elwyn, many thanks,i will give that a go.
Regards argyle25cassidy 

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 January 22 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Can anyone help with locating a photo of David…..I know one existed at some point….does anyone know where you can see old photos of staff of the Londonderry/Derry railways.
I have looked online but can’t seem to find anything.
Kind regards
Argyle

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 January 22 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Can anyone help with locating a photo of David…..I know one existed at some point….does anyone know where you can see old photos of staff of the Londonderry/Derry railways.
I have looked online but can’t seem to find anything.
Kind regards
Argyle

Try the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) at Whitehead, Co Antrim. Their members are interested in railway history and they have a museum. They may have some photos or one of their members may have some. Ask them to put an appeal on their website for photos.
Elwyn

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn
I contacted the preservation society, they don’t hold any records…. But thank you for taking the time to send me the message.
Kind regards
Argyle

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 23:57 GMT (UK) »
If David had sort of accident on the railway it was not the cause of his death as that was of natural causes with no inquest at 15 Bond Street.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05554/4558538a.pdf

From Findmypast Newspapers / British Newspaper Archive:

Derry Journal 11 January 1909 / Londonderry Sentinel 9 January 1909
David Simpson, who had died inestate, had not paid off his £200 mortgage to build a house on Violet Street, obtained 1898 when a railway porter. Reportedly paid up to Feb 1905 when he could no longer pay being unable to work. Seems there was some deception by the Building Society Secretary a Mr Hassen now absconded. Lengthy 1 3/4 column report.

Derry Journal 8 Mar 1901 / inquest Derry Journal 11 March 1901
In 1901 a David Simpson was a passenger/Guard on a train where the engine driver fell off after leaning out too far and was killed on a new section of the Donegal Railway between Derry & Strabane.

Londonderry Sentinel 13 July 1905 / Derry Journal 14 July 1905
David Simpson of 15 Bond St David Lynch of 15 Bond St + brother Robert Simpson of York St summomed re killing & injury to swans at Rosses Bay - were walking 3 dogs and terrier went after a rat that headed to swan's nest which fluttered - accident, case dismissed.

Londonderry Sentinel 07 January 1905 / Derry Journal 06 January 1905
David Simpson was guard on an Donegal Railway Co excursion train on 28th August where a window was broken at Donemana station when stopped there an hour after sunset (8-30 pm) during return from Donegal to Londonderry. A man looked out and window was closed not open as he thought. He was trying to sue the Donegal Railway company for negligence as the carriage was not illuminated, he severely cut his thumb and unable to work for a month. Dismissed the man had not exercised care himself in the dark and checked window was open before sticking his head through it.  ::)

Network map https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/4568992098
There are quite a few books if google Donegal Railways and look under images & books + other sites with rolling stock photos etc including one by Donegal Railway Heritage Centre http://donegalrailway.com/ which may be a good place to contact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdnWx3CVBHA

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 January 22 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon_ni
Thank you for taking the time to find this info on David…..very interesting.
I really Appreciate your help,
Kind regards
Argyle

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 January 22 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could anyone please do a death notice look up for me , I assume David’s death notice would have been in the Londonderry sentinal.He died in 1906.
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards
Argyle

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 January 22 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Argyle
If asking such questions best to state the exact date of death to save people searching, I had posted the death cert link so could just open, otherwise it is not in the thread.

It did not become commonplace for all to place a death notice until 1940's, yes there are some and they became more commonplace as time progressed, but in 1906 tend to be prominant people or families that had spare cash to pay for one. Similarly do not expect to find a headstone for all in that era, the burial may not even have been in a private purchased plot. Especially from a widow with 7 children whose husband could not afford the mortgage payments in Feb of that year & who would now have to seek work.

Even later the likes of the Belfast Telegraph or Newsletter were more popular places for death notices throughout N.I as they were published daily Mon-Sat. Regional papers were sometimes just published once or twice a week. Burials were typically 2 days after death so if put in the local paper would not appear till after the internment.
The Londonderry Sentinal was published on Tues and Sat in the morning & The Derry Journal on Wed, Sat & Mon.
David died on Sat 25th Aug, there is no death notice in the Sentinal or Journal on Mon 27th (or 25th).
Hope you have managed to read one or other of the Jan 1909 articles using the 3 free views available on https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/account/register utilising the advanced search to narrow results to County, newspaper, exact date & name. Alternatively a sub for a month is £12.95.

Other newspaper articles with David Simpson are Derry Journal 24 February 1892 platform porter Northern Counties Railway during a inquest held Dungiven Road area of Waterside into the death of a signal man who fell from his signal box.
Some in the 1880's for being drunk and one for a David Simpson boy fighting Spencer Road Waterside Derry Journal 9 May 1879.
David, Robert & Samuel Simpson Torry's Rd, Waterside for drunken row Londonderry Sentinel 30 June 1888.
Derry Journal 30 December 1898 David Simpson of Violet St Waterside summoned his brothers Samuel & William of Moore St for stealing & taking away a game cock on Xmas day for fighting, he paid mother for feeding. David moved to Violet St 19 Sep, previously in Moore St with his mother; was working for Northern Counties Railway. All interviewed, including mother who said bird was hers. Dismissed.

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 January 22 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon_ni
Thank you for all the info you have supplied to me….all very interesting.
I just assumed people would read the thread and see his year of death, not thinking about the month..😩😩.
We are lucky enough that David has a headstone, he is buried in a large family plot with his parents and some of his siblings…also some of their decendents.
His wife Elizabeth got on quite well as a widow…I have a lovely studio portrait of her. Her children all did quite well…even though her youngest child was only 3 when David died.
Like most people I wish I had asked my grandfather more when he was alive.
Once again many thanks for all your help.
Kind regards
Argyle