Author Topic: Manchester Nightclub 1960s  (Read 15323 times)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Nightclub 1960s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 November 10 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like you might have solved the problem Barbara! Many thanks.
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 November 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I remember Annabels-think it was on Wood St., off Deansgate.

Tiffanys was on Oxford St.-upstairs. I think it was in St James Buildings. But there was another one a bit further along that was more of a cabaret but I can't remember the name. I think it was upstairs as well. Need to ask around a few old friends-if I can find them.

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 November 10 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Eric, I would be interested to know the name if you or your friends can remember it.
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Glass making, S Shields

Offline skippy2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • skippy 2004/9 ... now skippy2. Copyright applies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 November 10 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Fagins/Rafters. Think it was previously called Takis.

Skippy

Offline EcclesCake2003

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 November 10 03:54 GMT (UK) »
  Possibley the OASIS

didnt Jimmy Saville work there  as a disc jockey ?

Ecclescake

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 November 10 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Don`t know where this club was ,but we used to travel from Liverpool to go there
Heaven and Hell
downstairs was Hell ..and all the well brought up girls went down stairs where all the trendy lads were ...
and all the scallys would go upstairs to Heaven where it was quite snobby, looking for a rich girl....
but all the atmosphere was in Hell ...
must have been a good club for us to travel 35 miles ...oh ...what memories ...and if anyone knows Alice the Irish nurse ...lol...a 5 ft doll....I will never forget her ...absolutely beautiful and happy with it....anyway...was it
Heaven and Hell ?
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 November 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thats it--Fagins was upstairs-they had acts and meals and Rafters was downstairs.

Many questions answered in one go.

Eric. ;D
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 November 10 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone for all the replies; the one we were looking for was Tiffany's.

I have fond memories of Mr Smiths on a Sunday night in the 70s when it was student night and prog rock music was played. I used to dance with Alan Prior's dance group - does anyone remember Alan? He was quite a character, sadly no longer with us.

Thanks again
Chirp
Glass making, S Shields

Offline frankray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Ballroom: you suggest may have been the PLAZA (Mecca) upstairs straight off Oxford Street. (Next block up form the Odeon). They had lunch time dances for the Princely sum of 1/-s.  Evenings were turned over to general public dance and less overhead lighting. Jimmy Saville was the Manager.  This place was never a night club in my time c1955
Runcorn Cheshire: Crosby
Runcorn Cheshire: Hampson
Cuerdley Lancs: Crosby
Hale Lancs: Crosby/Crosbie
Avening Glos: Minty
Bromham Wiltshire: Minty
Haughton Green Lancs: Pollitt
Hyde Cheshire: Middleton