Author Topic: Little Staughton  (Read 8756 times)

Offline grouse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Little Staughton
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 November 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd update you all - Got the will today - it didn't solve the question though - in fact it produced more!
John made the will in Jan 1839 making his wife Sarah and son William execs - Ok about the wife but ? William. He gives £10 to his son John and daughters Susan Sarah and Ann and grandaughter Mary Sharman - apart from John, ? the others
In May the same year there is an attachment to the will which says there wasn't the £100 to fulfill the will. Sarah and John were the execs - I assume William had died but I can find no record.
Mary Sharman(nee Gurry)  had married William in LS in 1831 but I can't figure who her father was - William/ John/ another. If the deceased is 'my' John then it's weird he didn't leave anything to his other 3 Grandchildren or his great great grandchildren
Looks on the face of it there must be more John Gurrys out there from LS but something in my bones tells me there isn't and this is my fella !
Think a trip up North is in the offing to find the bit of info that's going to join grandfather, father and son together.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 November 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
The fact that there are children named who you don't know about isn't surprising given they were non-conformists and there are no baptisms. I've seen many wills where not all the grandchildren get a bequest, so I wouldn't read anything into that. I don't find it odd at all - perhaps Mary was his favourite. Were there any great grandchildren in 1839? Again it wasn't unusual for any great or great great children not to be mentioned.

If John specifically mentions granddaughter Mary Sharman then there's every chance that she was the daughter of William and Mary, and thus Mary (Gurry) Sharman was John's daughter. Slightly odd that his daughter Mary doesn't get a mention - perhaps she died before 1839 and her eldest daughter got her share, although I can't see a burial in Beds. In fact I think this is the most likely explanation - that his estate was divided up between his children, and the child of his deceased daughter got what would have been her mother's share. Susan and Sarah both appeared to have married in Lt Staughton before the will was made - were their married names mentioned in the will, or were they just referred to as my daughters Susan Sarah and Ann?

William needn't have died - he could merely have declined to act as executor. I don't understand though how John acted as executor - the May attachment may have been the Grant of Probate.

William aged 60 born Lt Staughton was living in Eynesbury in 1851 with wife Hannah.

It looks to me as though John born c1813 at Lt Staughton was the son of John age 57 living in Eaton Socon in 1851 who in turn was the son of John whose will you have. The difficulty is in proving that the youngest John was the son of John born c1794.

There must almost be the possibility that John born 1794 wasn't the son of John and Sarah, and that John born c1813 was their son - born c25 years after they married so not out of the question. I'm not suggesting this was the case, as I don't think it was, but it can't be ruled out.

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 November 10 10:22 GMT (UK) »
There's a Susan Gurrie, father John at age 19 married Thomas Whitney at Eaton Socon on 3 Aug 1838.

A Sarah Gurrey married George Sanders at Little Staughton on 11 Apr 1820

If wife Sarah was stiill alive in Jan & then May 1839 to be executor of the will then there's a good chance she'd be still around for 1841 census - but I've not found her.   
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline grouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 November 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi David and John

@David - yep I agree that the king -  pin to this all is confirming the relationship of the John's - which brings us full circle to my original posting :)
@John - I've located Sarah in the 1841 census living in LS but both findmypast and Ancestry have produced a bad copies. There is 2 other young people living with her that the former has transcribed as Ephram and Eliza Gurry but I don't think this is correct and they have another surname but it's impossible to read. Ancestry doesn't even have them listed but I found the entry by typing in someone else on the page (John Bonnet) but it's no clearer :(
I'm not giving up though. Every dam Ephram(Ephriam/Ephraim) will be scrutinised til I find him! I'm sure there is going to be a 'bingo' moment around the corner soon

Onwards !!

Offline grouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
BINGO !!  - I think

Looking in the 1881 census I noticed Mark Gurry (son of John Gurry 1794 one) had William Sharman and Samuel Sharman lodging with him. Following the censuses backward the two Sharman are brothers and William was married to a Mary - possibly Mary Sharman nee Gurry of the will!! Mary married in 1831 and the census shows her eldest son born 1835 so it's possible
@ David - I know you don't like the word 'must' but it's quivering on my lips!
I'm one happy bunny

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census reads (taken from the CDrom set)
Sarah Gurry 75 Not born in Beds
Ephraim Sanders 20 ag lab b in Beds
Elizabeth Hawkins 14 Lace maker (the next household was also Hawkins)

Ephraim is probably (never MUST!) the son of Sarah Gurry who married George Sanders in 1820 that John posted.

I agree that the 1881 census that you've found probably establishes the link between the Gurrys and the Sharmans. It doesn't confirm that John born c 1814 is the son of John b1794, which is what we're trying to establish. Good circumstantial evidence but still not in the MUST category!

David

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 November 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
David, I've just seen your mods to Ancestry & I was hoping for Sanders .. 

However according to the marriage at LS on 17 Apr 1843 of Ephraim Sanders & Susan Partridge of Duloe, father Jonathon P, brother to my gt-gt-grandfather:  Ephraim's father was John

cheers John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 November 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Good thing I only said probably, not must be!!! Just shows though, how you shouldn't jump to conclusions (I did!)

More in a minute. I'm looking a bit closer at the Sharmans.

David

Offline grouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 November 10 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I think my parade has been rained on :( Yep, I agree the link between the 2 Johns is still unconfirmed.
I'm trying to find my original research where I found Mark and John1813 to be brothers. Finding this will bypass the 'John' situation as Mark and John 1794 are DEF father and son