Author Topic: A house in Madeley.  (Read 9412 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A house in Madeley.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pepsi

Thanks for the lovely photo. 

I'm certain, but obviously need more proof, that this was the home of James Bayley in 1666 as it seems to be the only property big enough to have had 8 hearths at the time of the Hearth Tax and he was described as living in Great Madeley.

According to a 1708 map of Madeley The Town House seems to be situated on land owned by Weston Bayley.  But I know he lived at the Moss House.

It will be interesting to see if Jen's friend knows about the place.

Jay :)
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, I was wrong. It wasn't Madeley but another nearby place.

However, he has given me the email address of someone who knows quite a bit about the history of Madeley so all is not lost. No guarantees but if this other friend can help, I'll be back again.

I'm guessing it could be after Christmas, what with the world going slightly mad at the moment.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 May 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
I can't help noticing the posting by Pepsi62 about William Houlding of Madeley who I am currently researching via his son Joseph William and his wife Emma Alice Bebbington (m.1861) and would love to hear more of them and their ancestors, if possible, please...

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline Pepsi62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Well, you are the first person I have come across researching the Houldings.

Joseph William and Emma Alice are my wife's g-grandparents and we have quite a lot on their family, although with a few key gaps.
Emma is from Nantwich which is where they lived and raised their family and ran a drapers business - although for some reason they got married in Liverpool.
Joseph's parents are William and Martha and they ran the Crewe Arms hotel in Madeley (it was next to the mainline railway). William originates from Gorsty Hill which is not far away.

Will be interested to know which branch of the family you fit in and are researching.

Peter
Nantwich: Davies, Houlding, Bebbington, Grocott
CHS: Dentith, Haynes, Hollinshead, Thornhill, Ford
STS: Houlding, Bayley, Denny, Byatt, Fairbanks

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 May 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

All I have on the Houldings is derived from the IGI & freebmd (& your postings here) and so I would be fascinated to compare notes, if possible, please.

I did not know that William Joseph and Emma Alice had a drapers business.

I believe that William Joseph and Emma Alice had twin daughters called Annie and Alice Jessie christened at Nantwich in 1877, although born in 1868 - looking at my notes today, I rather wonder if my statement is quite accurate owing to the gap between birth and christening.

I am following the line of Alice Jessie who married Henry Ray in 1890. However this line is not my own immediate ancestors, but rather those of the recent bride of one of my cousins.

I you would prefer to continue this chat offline then please email me at justforbrinnysuse at gmail.com AND please post again here if you do so since I do not regularly check that email address.

Many thanks,
Caspar

Offline Pepsi62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 May 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Caspar,
I think I have most of the descendents from Joseph William and Emma Alice - although it is all not quite straight-forward and there is some tragedy mixed in with good fortune.

Annie and Alice Jessie were not twins. Joseph and Emma had 6 of their children baptised at the same time, varying in age from 9 weeks to 11 years.

Alice Jessie's is rather an interesting story - her husband Henry Ray died in 1891 only a few weeks after the birth of their daughter Alice and she re-married into a rather wealthy new lifestyle.

I agree that it is probably better to carry on now via email so I will put something together to send you - but it might take a couple of weeks.

Peter
Nantwich: Davies, Houlding, Bebbington, Grocott
CHS: Dentith, Haynes, Hollinshead, Thornhill, Ford
STS: Houlding, Bayley, Denny, Byatt, Fairbanks

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 May 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thank you for clarifying Joseph & Emma's children - I had wondered if it might be something like that.

I should be very pleased to hear more and shall look forward to that whenever it is convenient to you.

Many thanks,
Caspar

Offline Wookieeresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm researching my other half's family tree and I have an address called Hay Farm Cottages. I'm looking around 1908 and I wondered if it's among the properties you are discussing. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Wookieeresearch.

On the 1911 census 11 and 12 Hay Cottages and Hay Farm, Madeley, appear to be top and tailed by Station Road, numbers 23 and 9.

No numbers, nor can I see the named farm

https://maps.nls.uk/view/121150868#zoom=4&lat=9270&lon=9398&layers=BT