Author Topic: William Cook Birth - Help Please!  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Terri231186

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Cook Birth - Help Please!
« on: Thursday 04 November 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had any information on a William Cook.  I have been looking for several weeks now for his birth information.

I know that he was married to Eleanor Dunnett on the 10 April 1804.  However his fathers name isn't filled in on the parish register.  Neither is his age.  Most helpful as you can imagine!  Didn't these people know we would need this information one day!

Any how any help would as always be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Terri
x

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Cook Birth - Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 November 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
hello terri
hsve you looked in family search record search pilot the norfolk parish records are in there although there is no index so it will mean trawling through the books themselves
all the best
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Terri231186

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 November 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I actually have.  But there is no book for caston which is where they were married.  So it didn't really help.  I looked through all the closest towns to Caston, like Attleborough but they didn't appear in any of them sadly.

Thanks though.

Terri
x

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 November 10 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I see from free reg that they were married by licence. More information may be available from the marriage licence bonds. There may be more details there. http://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/documents/pdf/NRO048_MLB.pdf

William Cook is a common name so it would be good to have an approximate age.

Using the transcribed records database in the pilot familysearch, there is a William Cook baptised 7 Dec 1778 to a Tabitha Cook in Attleburgh, but there are several others in Norfolk born around the same time. There was also an Eleanor Mary Dunnett born to parents Jeremiah and Ellen Mary Dunnett baptised 31 October 1775 in Attleburgh.

You could look these up in the Attleborough parish registers on the site.
Kaysii

Offline Terri231186

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 November 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find them in the 1841 census. 

William cook is around 65 (but obviously this isn't exact as no age is in the 1841 census its rounded up or down) with his year of birth being given around 1776

Eleanor Cook is listed as Ellen and her age is around 55 and her year of birth as around 1786.

But I have heard people say that artistic license is necessary when dealing with the 1841 census as the information isn't 100%

Kaysii, I think your right about Tabitha Cook.  I did some research into it last night on Family Search and came to the same conclusion.  Although I don't want to be the one to tell my grandmother that one of her ancesters is "Base born" or rather "a child of the people" she is very proud and quite strict! :D  Maybe now she won't keep going on at me to get married before I have children ;) 

Thanks again!

Terri
x

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 November 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri

There is no sign of a William Cook in the Caston baptisms 1770-1800 there were some Dunnetts but no Eleanor.

The ones kaysii has found look a good bet.

regards
yokel