Author Topic: Mabel Beatrice Prince  (Read 11720 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mabel Beatrice Prince
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Well done Tom! A good find and may be part of the explanation for the scattering of the family.
Is Alfred jnr the same person as Frederick?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 November 10 17:30 GMT (UK) »

The family on the bus are Mrs Eva Prince, Winifred (Eva) Prince & Frederick Prince, and they all lived in Crompton-street, Derby in 1898.

We know that Winifred Eva Prince is the same is the dressmaker in Wood St, Lytham St Annes in 1901, and the ages seem to fit, she must be the Eva Winifred Prince born in   June qtr of  1882  ref Free BMD    Derby    7b   550.

Frederick Prince: well that's a mystery, being 7 in 1898, would suggest birth around 1891, and I can't seem to find one, but there is an Alfred John Prince born September qtr of 1890, (Free BMD ref     Derby    7b   523)  Alfred John was named after his father Alfred, but known as Frederick.

So yes, Frederick is Alfred junior. Not found them in 1891 yet though.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 November 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
The Derby Mercury Wednesday, December 12, 1894

No doubt you are aware of the death of Frederick Gay Shute at 11,  Arboretum Square, Derby on December 4th, 1894, aged 84 years.

The Derby Mercury Wednesday, December 19, 1894

FUNERAL OF THE LATE MR. F. G. SHUTE

On Monday at the Nottingham-road Cemetery, Mr. Frederick Gay Shute, of Arboretum square (son of Dr. Shute of Gosport) was laid to his resting place. The deceased gentleman was in the 85th year of his age. For many years he was one of the most familiar figures in Derby, and his ercet form and genial handsome face crowned by snow white hair were objects of interest and pride to his numerous friends. Until his fatal illness he enjoyed perfect health. A correspondent writes:- He was an ardent sportsman almost to the last, having relinquished fishing and shooting only ion the last twelve months. He was ever ready to draw upon the knowledge of those and other sports for the information and amusement of the younger generations by whom he was looked upon as an unfailing authority. Although taking no active part in politics for some years, he followed the course of events with a keen interest, and was to the last a staunch Conservative and devoted Churchman. He was probably the oldest freemason in Derbyshire, having been initiated so long ago as 1843. He leaves a widow and nine children by whom he is deeply mourned, and will be long missed by a large circle of friends., having by his unfailing kindness of heart and ever ready sympathy attracted to himself the strong affection of all who had the priviledge of his acquaintance. The funeral cortege left deceased’s residence at 11 o’clock for St. Andrew’s church in the following order:- First coach, the Rev. L. Wilkins, and Mr. Thomas Lloyd; bearers and hearse; second coach, Mr. C. E. Shute, Miss Shute, Mr. Percy G Shute, and Mrs. Eardley; third coach, Mrs. Tinker, Mrs. Prince, Mr. Pollard and Mrs. Pollard; fourth coach, Mr. Arnold, Mr. Eardley, and Dr. Hodson. The burial service was feelingly read by the Rev. L Wilkins, who came from Nottingham to take the funeral in the absence of Rev. R Hay. The funeral arrangements were efficiently carried out by Mr. Thomas Lloyd. Wreaths and crosses were sent by Mrs. Shute, Miss Shute, Mr. and Mrs. J W Eardley, Alfreton, Mr and Mrs Tinker, Southport, Mr. and Mrs Pollard, London, Mrs Henry Burdett, London, Miss Shute, London, Mrs and Mrs Oram, Worcester, Rev, and Mrs Allin, Dr. and Mrs Hodson, Mrs Grundy, Mr and Mrs W Burton, Derby and others.

Tom

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »

So yes, Frederick is Alfred junior. Not found them in 1891 yet though.

Tom

The family are here in 1891 RG12; Piece: 2733; Folio 61; Page 22
transcribed as  Prund with young Alfred 5 months old.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 November 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Another good find!

Here's the marriage of Alfred to Eva: The Derby Mercury,  Wednesday, September 24, 1879

Prince-Shute-Sept. 18th, at the Parish Church, Stretford, near Manchester, by the Rev. J E Boothe, Rector of Chorlton, near Manchester, Alfred, son of Paul Prince, Derby to Eva, fifth daughter of Frederick Gay Shute, of Stretford

Tom

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 November 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Can you see anything to indicate Alfred's disappearance in the newspaper?

Excellent work by the way - i hope Stephen comes back soon to see it.

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 November 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Today is my birthday and what you have discovered is quite a birthday present!
I am amazed at the bus crash which I new nothing about and the remarkable obituary to Frederick Gay Shute.  You really have uncovered a treasure trove in the Derby Mercury. Thanks for all your other discoveries too.

One thing that I notice is that where the family had been living in Arboretum Square in 1891, by the time of the accident in 1898, they were living in Crompton Street.  The separation is supposed to have occurred in 1898 and 43 Crompton Street happens to be where Alfred Prince's mother Julia was living in 1891.  As she died on 17 May 1899, it occurs to me that perhaps Eva and her children went to live with her, but when she died they  dispersed because they could not afford to keep a house.

I don't suppose I could ask a favour?  Amelia, Frederick Gay Shute's widow died on 27 May 1907.  Would you mind looking in the Mercury to see if there was an obituary?  Frederick Gay Shute appears to have been a man of substance, but I have never been able to find his Will.  I can only presume that it was incorrectly indexed.

Thanks for all your kind assistance.

Stephen
Winsor - Pontypool, Milsom - Pontypool and Sopworth, Shute - Hampshire etc, Gay - Hampshire, Thompson - Soho and Enfield, Sutton - Hertfordshire

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 November 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
A belated happy birthday Stephen- and what a present from Tom  :D

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Sorry I can't help as regards Amelia Shute-was it originally Ward? All my information from the Derby Mercury is available to you and everyone from Infotrac-19th century British Newspapers, so the references end in 1900. I get my information through Lancashire Library online, and you can as well from your local library with the aide of a ticket. (lots more for you to find-surgeons were often in the news, being called to give expert evidence-they also had money so could afford BMD announcements, so there is tons for you to discover-here's a sample)

As for Amelia's death then I would suggest you write to the local library in Derby and ask someone to look it up, or maybe someone on this Rootschat can help you.

I do have a bit more for you, though not about Frederick Gay Shute, more his father Dr, Shute, also a Gay Shute, of Gosport.

Some of the items are a bit puzzling, most likely you will know more.

Firstly his house in Gosport or should I say houses:

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc , Monday, July 14, 1806

GOSPORT, TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION BY JOHN MIDDLETON
On Tuesday the 15th day of July instant, at the Fountain Tavern, in Gosport, between the hours of 6 and 8 in the evening,
Lot 1: All that MESSUAGE or Dwellinghouse, with the appurtenances thereto belonging situate on the north side and in the centre of the Middle Street, in Gosport, occupied by Mr. Gay Shute, Surgeon, whole tenancy expires at Christmas next, when possession may be had. The house is Freehold, and is most eligibly situated for any kind of business.
 Note he was renting  a house, not owning it.

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc Monday, June 22, 1812

To be Sold by Auction, by Mr. H. Hicks, on Friday 24th day of July, 1812, at 4 o’clock in the afternoon, at the Dolphin Inn, Gosport, in separate Lots (unless tempting offers are previously made by Private Contract:-
Two handsome DWELLING HOUSES, situate in the centre of the Middle or High-street, Gosport, in the occupation of Mr. Gay Shute, and Mr. Parry, the best and most public part of the town for business. These houses have each a very lofty front shop, parlour, drawing-room with balcony in front, four good chambers, detached kitchen, with servants room over, cellar, side passage, and large outlet behind.

A nice description of his house in this fashionable area of Gosport which you may still be able to find, not all were bombed in World war 2.

Now for his job:  On April 13, 1835, Gay Shute, wrote to the paper, addressing the governors of the West Sussex and East Hampshire, Chichester Infirmary, offering his support despite his application for house surgeon having been turned down. It must have worked because by April 4th, 1839, he was the house surgeon of the above infirmary; (he started there in 1837) he was there at least until 1842, when he resigned. He too, like his son liked shooting, as his name is on the list of persons with a gaming licence.

Now for some BMD announcements, one of which I can't fathom at all. One I think must be a son I think.

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, October 7, 1848; Issue 2557.
Deaths:On October 3, at Gosport, Maria, wife of Gay Shute esq. (formerly Maria Cousens second daughter of Mr. James Cousens, of Hayling island, they married at Gosport on Friday November 7th, 1806)

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, December 11, 1852; Issue 2775.

Mrs Shute, widow of the late Gay Shute, surgeon of Gosport, is desirous of obtaining three or four young ladies to Board and Educate. She can give the highest testimonials as to ability and ensurance of the kindest care. Mrs S has recently obtained one pupil, the daughter of a clergyman. (24, North Street, Gosport)  Note the address that his widow was residing at the time of death-this is attached to the advert)

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc Saturday, March 10, 1855.
Deaths
On the 5th Instant, at Gosport, Herbert, the fourth son of the late Gay Shute esq, aged 38.

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc Saturday, April 23, 1859;
DEATHS: On the 12th instant, at Greenwich, of typhoid fever, Henry, eldest son of Gay Shute esq, surgeon, formerly of Chichester Infirmary, aged 14 years.

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc Saturday, January 11, 1868;
Deaths: On the 4th Inst., Henrietta Maria, wife of Gay Shute Esq, surgeon, Greenwich(they married from Bexley House, Greenwich, where Gay Shute had his practice, by August 20th, 1842, she the only daughter of the late Henry Rixon, esq of Camberwell. The marriage was at St Pancras New Church.(see Jackson's Oxford Journal:Saturday, August 20, 1842)

Now for Frederick Gay Shute, who was an auctioneer I think.
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc  Saturday, January 10, 1863
Frederick Gay Shute is a member of the Jury at Winchester Assizes.

Tom