Author Topic: Mabel Beatrice Prince  (Read 11714 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mabel Beatrice Prince
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Stephen

Ah yes, now I see the Gay Shute of Greenwich, was the the son of Gay Shute the surgeon of Gosport and brother to Frederick Gay Shute.

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
The Derby Mercury  Wednesday, June 3, 1891
    THE LATE MR GAY SHUTE

The following notice of the late Mr. Gay SHUTE, brother of Mr. F. G. Shute, of Arboretum Square, Derby, whose death we recorded last week appears in the “Hospital”:-There died at Greenwich last week Mr. Gay Shute, FRCS, a general practitioner of the old school: “ A fine Old English gentleman, one of the olden times” Mr. Shute, who never wished to be called Dr. Shute, practised his profession in Greenwich for nearly half a century. He was born at Gosport, On November 1st, 1812, and died on May 4th, of the present year. There was not a honourable or more honoured man in Greenwich. He was a practitioner of first-rate capacity, and, needless to say, of almost unique experience. As a boy Mr. Shute was educated at private schools, and well-educated; as a young man he studied at University College Hospital to be house surgeon remaining in the latter position for five years. Mr. Shute wanted nothing but ambition made him one of the most eminent surgeons of his time. He  had all the eminence that Greenwich could give him in his bewst days.; for he was for many years the figure amongst its medical practitioners by universal consent. But such were his courage, mental capacity, operative skill, nobility of presence and rare goodness of heart that if he had chosen the Metropolis as the field of his active life he could not hjave failed to have taken one of the most commanding positions in the medical profession. There is nothing however to regret in the fact Mr. Shute lived and died a medical practitioner. He could not have served his generation in any position, however exalted, more honestly and capably than in that which he actually lived and worked. He set an example of duty, honourable conduct, and noble respect to all the practitioners in Greenwich and for miles around it. He was well honoured by men of the highest eminence in London and the country. It will be an evil day for the medical profession when all the practitioners of the highest class shun general practice and seek to be consultants. A worthier, and more dignified career than that of Mr. Shute no medical man, whatever his culture and capacity need wish for. His children and  his many friends mourn his loss.; but the memory of his noble life can never been other than a pure and permanent pleasure

Then later in the same newspaper:The Derby Mercury  Wednesday, May 13, 1891

THE DEATH OF MR GAY SHUTE

The following extract from the Kentish Mercury will interest many local friends of the deceased gentleman, who was well-known in the neighbourhood:- The death of Mr. Gay Shute, which it is our painful duty to record this week, removes from amongst us the oldest medical practitioner and a citizen who was universally respected and esteemed. He had held the front rank in the profession for many years, and lived in the active practice of it to a ripe old age, having reached his 79th year. Some eight months ago Mr. Gay Shute had a serious illness, when his death was apprehended, but although he rallied in a remarkable manner, and it was hoped the return of the summer months would further restore him, he succumbed to the effects of it. He leaves which will be remembered with respect in Greenwich. Mr Gay Shute took no active part in parochial politics, but was earnest in his attention to his church duties and assiduous in his devotion to his profession.

Tom

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Tom,

What can I say?  I am amazed by all that you have found.

Thanks you for your advice about 19th century newspapers.  I had no idea so much was now available online.

Kind regards,

Stephen
Winsor - Pontypool, Milsom - Pontypool and Sopworth, Shute - Hampshire etc, Gay - Hampshire, Thompson - Soho and Enfield, Sutton - Hertfordshire

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Stephen,

Also go to Google Books and put in a search for Gay Shute, Surgeon, Greenwich, plenty of stuff in medical journals like the Lancet and  The Gentleman's magazine.

Are these names familiar to you?

Tom

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Tom,

Thanks for the further advice.  Yes these Shutes are known to me.  Amongst others there are Gay Shute, surgeon of Gosport (ancestor), his sons Gay Shute, surgeon of Greenwich and Robert Grueber Shute, surgeon of Paris and Frederick Gay Shute, auctioneer (ancestor).  Gay Shute of Greenwich had a daughter Helen who married Henry Charles Burdett (later knighted) who was founder of the pension fund for nurses amongst other things.  She is the then Mrs Helen Burdett who sent a wreath to her uncle Frederick Gay Shute's funeral, as recorded in the obituary that you located.  As you see there is a very strong medical theme in this family.

Kind regards,

Stephen
Winsor - Pontypool, Milsom - Pontypool and Sopworth, Shute - Hampshire etc, Gay - Hampshire, Thompson - Soho and Enfield, Sutton - Hertfordshire

Offline prince2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 November 10 09:14 GMT (UK) »
This thread has come a long way since I was last on RC. Glad to see how much info you now have Stephen. I have written to a family member asking if she ever heard anything about the bus accident. I will let you know.

@ Colkitto - this would be the same lot. Sorry I made a mistake with Henry's year of birth, he was born 1682 not 1862 (my 7* g Grandfather).

My most recent direct link to the Flying Childers is my gg grandfather Herbert's brother Albert who was the licencee. They were born in 1848 and 1851. There are a whole lot of references to the Flying Childers in the census'. I haven't worked out where they all fit in but I was wondering whether they lived there or just happened to be there having a pint every time there was a census.  ???  8)

There is also a more recent reference to a Minnie Prince (born 1920) who lived at the F/C as a child and whose parents ran it. If you want to PM me an email address I can send you what I have.

Regards
Glenn

Kent/Somerset/Essex/London : Smith, Thompson, Moor, Phillipson, Goward, Jenkins, Roberts, Longhurst, Cooper, Henshaw, Ling
Lancashire/Derbyshire : Prince, Savage, Holmes, Maiden, Taylor

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 November 10 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Glenn,

Yes it has and here are some more details about the bus accident that were reported in the North east Gazette, a Middlesborough newspaper.

The North-Eastern Daily Gazette  Thursday, June 16, 1898.
SINGULAR ACCIDENT AT RAILWAY CROSSING

A serious omnibus accident involving injuries occurred at Derby yesterday. During the present summer the Derby Tramways Company have been running omnibuses between the centre of the town and the Nottingham-road cemetery at stated intervals on Wednesday, the tradesmen’s half-holiday. The Midland Railway Bridge carrying the north line runs across the Nottingham-road and it was at this point that the accident occurred. About three o’clock an omnibus left the Royal Hotel, having a large number of passengers, both inside and outside. When the vehicle arrived at the railway bridge, under which the road runs at two levels, the driver, whose name is Arthur Lowe, took the higher level. As he was seated lower than the outside passengers he escaped, but his unfortunate fares came into contact with the iron girders of the bridge. The consequences were most disastrous. Two of the passengers were pitched off the vehicle, one being a lady and the other a boy, and they fell very heavily in the roadway. Those who remained in their places were badly hurt, and the screams of the ladies caused great consternation to the residents in the vicinity. A little boy named Frederick Prince had to be immediately removed to the Infirmary. His sister, Miss Winifred Prince, who had been thrown off the bus, was unconscious, and after she had received some attention in adjacent house she also was conveyed to the Infirmary. She was very badly cut across the face, and sustained severe injury to the legs. A number of other persons received minor injuries. Altogether ten persons were injured, and all had to receive medical attention.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 November 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Stephen,

There are lots of articles in the Times Online for the family of various Gay Shute, the latest being 1961, a Geoffrey Gay Shute, CMG, chief commissioner of the Western provinces of Nigeria in 1939.

I can't find anything in relation to the will you mention though.

There is this document at West Sussex archives:  Deeds of dwellinghouse, coach house, stable, orchard, garden and 2a. land [called Upper House] in East Lavant, late in occ. of Ann Souter.  GOODWOOD/E3027-3032  1842-1850
Contents:
Conveyed to Lord George Henry Charles Gordon Lennox and others by Gay Shute of Greenwith, co. Kent, surgeon, and Henrietta Maria his wife (née Rixon), 20 May 1846.
No. GOODWOOD/E3027 is a copy of the settlement, 13 Aug. 1842, on the marriage of Gay Shute and Henrietta Maria Rixon. A plan of the property is on the conveyance (No. GOODWOOD/E3029).

So the National Archives is worth a look.

Tom

Offline prince2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 November 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom.
Kent/Somerset/Essex/London : Smith, Thompson, Moor, Phillipson, Goward, Jenkins, Roberts, Longhurst, Cooper, Henshaw, Ling
Lancashire/Derbyshire : Prince, Savage, Holmes, Maiden, Taylor

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 November 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

How remarkable to think that the accident was reported as far away as Middlesborough.  Incidentally, I asked my mother, and Alfred and Mabel Beatrice's son Alfred John was always known as Freddie in order to distinguish him from his father.  The reporters must have assumed that Freddie meant Frederick.

I have come across Geoffrey Gay Shute,  He was a grandson of Gay Shute, surgeon of Greenwich.

The property transaction is intriguing.  The name Ann Souter rings a bell, but I can't remember where from.  She may have been a relation of his wife.

Thanks Tom.

Kind regards,

Stephen