Author Topic: Mabel Beatrice Prince  (Read 11716 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mabel Beatrice Prince
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 November 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Not sure about this at all.  ???

there is a Beatrice Pierce b 1883 Derby working as a governess in High Green, Ecclesfield, Yorkshire.  RG13; Piece: 4334; Folio: 99; Page: 5

Census entry does look like Pierce but it is not good writing and I can't find a Beatrice Pierce to match in BMD or 1891.  :-\

Mabel was Beatie in 1891 census.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 November 10 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glenn,

I don't know of any connection that my Prince ancestors had with the places that you mention, I'm afraid.

Stephen
Winsor - Pontypool, Milsom - Pontypool and Sopworth, Shute - Hampshire etc, Gay - Hampshire, Thompson - Soho and Enfield, Sutton - Hertfordshire

Offline colkitto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 November 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen

I didn't find Mabel either but this looks like Winifred

1901 13 Wood St St Anne's on Sea Lytham, Lancs.
Harry Smith 38 Company Lodging House Keeper
Minnie Smith 38
Jane Deal Smith 13
Ellen Smith 12
Hilda Smith 8
Ethel Smith 5
Annie McBurney 21
Winefred Eva Prince 18  Lodger Dressmaker Derby, Derby

they sure did scatter. The Beatrice that Heywood found looks good, the writing on the census could be Pierce or Prince.

& Hi Glenn I have some Princes from Stanton in my family tree, in the Flying Childer's Inn some of them. I can't find your Henry on the census though, did he move away?

Cheers Jo

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 November 10 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

The entry that you have found looks a strong possibility.  The surname could easily be Prince, the birthplace is correct and she was a governess before her marriage. She may well have given her age as 18 rather than 16 in order to get the job.   Also the fact that you can't find this person under Pierce in 1891 does make it look as though it is her.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen
Winsor - Pontypool, Milsom - Pontypool and Sopworth, Shute - Hampshire etc, Gay - Hampshire, Thompson - Soho and Enfield, Sutton - Hertfordshire

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 November 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

if she was a governess - then that may well be her. The trouble is - we can't prove it!
However, Mary Pierce doesn't see to be there.
As Jo says, they did scatter! Whatever happened does seem to have been quite catastrophic!

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 November 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

You have definitely found Winifred there as the name combination Winifred Eva Prince was pretty unusual.  

Thanks for your search.

It looks as though there is only her sister Jessie to trace. She was the eldest and would have been 20 in 1901.  I am still wondering what happened to their father Alfred Prince. He was a railway official and was born in 1849 in Darley Abbey, Derby.

Stephen

Offline swinsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 November 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

As you say, although it looks as if we have found her, we can never prove that it is my grandmother Mabel Beatrice Prince.

The family certainly did scatter and it must have been a catastrophic event that precipitated it.  What a  trauma it must have been when so many of the children were so young.

Thanks,

Stephen

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 November 10 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Stephen,

Any connection here?

DERBYSHIRE WINTER ASSIZES .
The Derby Mercury Wednesday, March 1, 1899

Civil Business

The Derby Bus Accident

During the hearing of the criminal business on Friday, Mr. H A McCardie mentioned to Mr. Justice Bucknill the case of Eva Winifred Prince and Alfred John Prince (by Alfred Prince, their next friend) v Derby Tramways Company Ltd. Mr. McCardie said the defendants would consent to judgement on the following terms: For Eva Prince £80, and for A J Prince £120, both sums to be paid into court within seven days. Judgement was accordingly entered.

Now try as I might, owing to  the difficulties of the search system I can't seem to discover exactly what happened, whether they were injured, but it does seem that they were suing the bus company as a result of injuries/shock received following a bus accident as opposed to  a tram accident. Now realise why I can't anything, it seems that 1898 was not photographed!

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 November 10 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Stephen,

Found it!

BUS ACCIDENT AT DERBY .
Nottinghamshire Guardian  Saturday, June 18, 1898; Issue 2769. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II
BUS ACCIDENT AT DERBY

TWELVE PERSONS INJURED

An extraordinary ‘bus accident occurred at derby on Wednesday afternoon, by which 12 persons were injured. The ‘bus was proceeding along Nottingham-road to the cemetery, crowded with holiday-makers, when the top of the bus which was packed with passengers, came in contact with the girders pf the Midland railway bridge, the consequence being that the front seats were all swept away. Twelve persons received serious injuries, and nine of them had to be removed to the infirmary. Two-Frederick Prince aged 7, and Winifred Prince, aged 16-it is feared would lose their lives. Both were suffering from concussion of the brain and contusions. The accident caused great excitement in the town. The following is the list of the injured:- Annie Potter, Rose-Hill-street, Eliza Jones, Twyford-street, Wm. Room, Bridge-street, Evelina Buxton, Oxford-street, Eva Prince, Frederick Prince, and Winifred Prince, Crompton-street, Selina Orme, High-street, Maria Wopling, Whitaker-street,; Rebecca Fletcher, Boyer-street,; Mary Burrows, Castle-street, and Eleanor Bristowe, Abbey Street. It was at first thought that the accident was of a more serious character than it turned out to be. The conductor, William Roome, was on the top of the bus collecting fares, and was first to be struck by the girder, but he was not seriously hurt. The bus was doing its first outward journey. The driver, Lowe, is an old servant of the company, but was not accustomed to the Nottingham-road route. He is generally employed as a stableman, but has a driver’s licence. Most of the injured were put onto the bus and driven at once to the infirmary. The most serious cases were those of Mrs. Prince and her son and daughter-it was at first feared that the boy was killed-and Mr. Haywood put them in a cab. Others were attended to on the wayside by Dr. Lister Wright, who had been summoned by Ald. Marsden. The secretary and manager of the tramway company, Mr. J. H. Richardson and Mr. harding were also informed by the police, who at once proceeded to the infirmary, and arranged for sending home those patients who were not detained.

Of those taken to the infirmary only the children, Winifred Prince aged 16, and Frederick Prince, aged seven, were detained. Both were in a serious condition.

Maybe more to follow.

Tom