Author Topic: Location of PG70, Monturano  (Read 38176 times)

Offline Fivnten

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of PG70, Monturano
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 15 August 19 20:10 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered this fascinating discussion. My late father was taken a prisoner of war in 1942. He was an Ordinary Telegraphist serving in the Royal Navy on HMS Sikh. When it was blown out if the water at Tobruk in September 1942, he was taken POW by the Italians and my understanding is that he was there for about six months until he and some of his fellow POWs were exchanged for Italian POWs. Going through his papers, I found a letter from the Red Cross about his capture dated 1942, and three postcards he sent to his parents from the camp. The details on the cards allowed me to identify his camp, the compound in which he was kept (Comp. 3) and brought me to this interesting forum. My father’s memories of this time were naturally not happy, and he rarely spoke of it - although latterly I did manage to get him to make a voice recording of his memories for me. I believe food was extremely short for the prisoners and the guards. I still have the spoon dad made from wire and the lid from a food tin. I am very excited to be able to identify, via this forum, the actual location of where he spent those years. I will share the four documents here (when I have compressed them!) in case they may be of interest to the other contributors.

Offline Fivnten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 15 August 19 20:16 BST (UK) »
Re my last post, this is the Red Cross letter informing a friend that my father had been taken PoW

Offline Fivnten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 15 August 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
This is the first post card from my father from PG70 informing his mother of his whereabouts.

Offline Fivnten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 15 August 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
This is the second post card my father sent his parents from PG70

Offline Fivnten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 15 August 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
This is the last post card I have that my father sent his parents from PG70. I believe he and his comrades from HMS Sikh were exchanged for Italian PoWs on Churchill’s instruction, and returned to England.

Offline Fivnten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 15 August 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
And finally, this from The Daily Mirror dated 25th June 1943, showing my father returning to his parents in Hatfield Broad Oak, where they were living for the duration, as their home / shop in Stepney had been destroyed by an incendiary in the Blitz in September 1941.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 15 August 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
I was just looking back and seeing that I started this thread almost exactly nine years ago. Knowledge then was minimal but now so much has come to light. Every story is different but there are common elements in them all.

The story you have posted will be familiar to all readers. Thanks for taking the trouble to do it.

It fascinates me that this thread has now been read more than 26000 times and, I hope, helped others to fill in some blanks about fathers' or grandfathers' wartime experiences.

Offline Fivnten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 15 August 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
It's a brilliant and informative thread. Thank you so much for starting it. I would never have imagined I would identify the actual location, but thanks to this thread, not only can I, but there are an abundance of fascinating links, films and photographs. I am so glad to have his post cards that enabled me to locate the actual camp. My father died in 2017 aged 95. I doubt it would have given him much pleasure to see these photos but for me and my sisters and family, it is wonderful. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed here.

Offline Iandesouza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 02 March 23 16:43 GMT (UK) »
My father Ken de Souza was held prisoner in PG70 in Fermo for 1 year before he escaped. He then was hidden by the local Contadini for another year untill he could be rescued.
PG70 was used for a few years after the war, but now stands derelict.
About 5-6 years ago, I went on a freedom trail and stayed at the camp for one night. (That was very strange)!
The Town hall wanted to re use the area of PG70, but many were against it due to it's history.
I was asked to help, which I was happy to do as a gesture of thanks to the italians who had helped so many.
I'm not a professional media person, but did my best to change public opinion. Fortunately it worked
The news came out on Monday 27.03.2023 that 15M has been raised and the camp will be reused. It will contain shops, small businesses, flats and a hospital.

For our relatives who escaped and were hidden by the local peasants and a terribly high risk to their own lives, I think this is a wonderful way of saying "Thank You"
8000 men were held in PG70 mainly Navy & Army and a couple of RAF.
When I stayed in the camp for one night it was full of pidgeons.