Author Topic: watson/Mphillips  (Read 2633 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: watson/Mphillips
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
You may find this interesting

The Keelmen of Tyne and Wear were a group of men who worked on the keels, large boats that carried the coal from the banks of both rivers to the waiting collier ships. Because of the shallowness of both rivers, it was difficult for ships of any significant draught to move up river and load with coal from the place where the coal reached the riverside. Thus the need for shallow-draught keels to transport the coal to the waiting ships. The keelmen formed a close-knit and colourful community on both rivers until their eventual demise late in the nineteenth century.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline womud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 November 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
That is very interesting, there are not watsons listed as witness on the marriage certificate.
Any ideas where to go on this line.....do I just look for a francis born in 1847/48.
this has always been a hard line.  Francis wife ellen Mcphillips was born in liverpool and her mother is listed as a honor mcphillips maiden name kennedy and father bernard mcphillips who was born in Cavan Ireland.  NO record of a marriage to bernard mcphillips and honor kennedy I have found bernard in the 1951 census but no honor anywhere. Bernard marries again and I have him in later cesus in one living close to Ellen. Thank you for taking the time to help.
Regards
Womud

Offline womud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 November 10 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Carole just looking again at the marriage certificate and I know they are roman catholic, is there any roman catholic records of tynemouth on line that I could search?
Thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I haven't a clue

Perhaps somebody with more localised knowledge of the area could help with some info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 November 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not aware of any Catholic Church registers online.  St. Cuthbert's Church was the RC church in North Shields and records are held at Tyne & Wear archives:

baptisms: 1807-1809 and 1840-1952
Marriages: 1821-1931
Deaths; 1856-1955

I don't know if the Church itself keeps copies.  Address:

St. Cuthbert,
Albion Road West,
North Shields,
NE29 0JB

Regards,

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk