Author Topic: Pandora House/Seaborne House Douglas  (Read 4273 times)

Offline jennifer5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pandora House/Seaborne House Douglas
« on: Sunday 10 April 05 18:09 BST (UK) »
Relatives of my family moved to Douglas, Isle of Man and owned 2 boarding houses. Pandora House and Seaborne House. Their name was Taylor. As this was after 1901 I am unsure how to research. Any ideas?
Jennifer5

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pandora House/Seaborne House Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 14:01 BST (UK) »
from 1904 IoM Tourist Board accomodation list - Mrs Taylor Pandora House, 6, Clarence Terr,. Central Promenade Douglas there was a Seabourne House at 2 Clarence Terr Mrs Caley
 - I have scanned this for my cd rom - see www.manxnotebook.com/cd_only/advboard/do_04.htm - neither was in the 1898 directory
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline jennifer5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 05 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for the information. My mother told me that the boarding houses were next door to each other. I believe one of the Taylors was a sister and married someone in the Isle of Man so that would explain the different name. However I could not find the info. you gave me in the link. Am I missing something? Any further ideas for searches?
Jen

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
The IoM Advertising Board issued annual guides - until WW1 these generally included lists of accomodation - the only place with a complete set would be the Manx Museum.
However what information do you want - www.lawsons.ca has an index to all (99.9%)  burials on the Island , he also has an index to many marriages on the Island - once you have a date apply to General Registry Douglas (see my site www.manxnotebook.com for addresses etc) for certificates

Clarence Terrace dates from 1840's see www.manxnotebook.com/towns/douglas/esplnde.htm - there are many photos of it - it still stands though mostly now converted into flats
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline jennifer5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 September 05 01:44 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for the links. The sites are very useful have been most forthcoming.
Jen